Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Christian who happens to not understand why there is such a big debate over the rights and freedoms of gays to marry. God created us equally, and I think both straight and gay couples should have the right to marry as they please. Gays shouldn't be discriminated against for the sole basis that they have a different sexual orientation. However, it seems like they are being discriminated against, particularly in the school I'm in right now. (A Christian private school).

It doesn't make sense to me.

Again, I'm a Christian, have accepted Jesus into my life, love God and try my best to follow his commandments. But, thinking principally and morally - as a Christian and a straight person, I cannot see how homosexuality is a sin. Two people who happen to be of the same sexual orientation love each other; what's so depraving about that? Love is love, and we're all created equally in His image.

ReputationRep:
    This whole debate is an attack on the institution called marriage and therefore family units. Families is how the population continues from 1 generation to the next. Can you imagine what would happen if everyone decided they were gay?

Gays can do what they want, but they should not marry since marriage is a union between man and woman.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeryStudious)
    I'm a Christian who happens to not understand why there is such a big debate over the rights and freedoms of gays to marry. God created us equally, and I think both straight and gay couples should have the right to marry as they please. Gays shouldn't be discriminated against for the sole basis that they have a different sexual orientation. However, it seems like they are being discriminated against, particularly in the school I'm in right now. (A Christian private school).

Again, I'm a Christian, have accepted Jesus into my life, love God and try my best to follow his commandments. But, thinking principally and morally - as a Christian and a straight person, I cannot see how homosexuality is a sin. Two people who happen to be of the same sexual orientation love each other; what's so depraving about that? Love is love, and we're all created equally in His image.

Hi

Personally I don't feel it is up to us to be concerned about what others do unless there is an injustice. We are taught in the New Testament to follow the new commandments which are to love God and to love each other, preferring their needs above our own. All the other laws hang off these commandments. God calls us to be kind and to be inclusive.

One day we will all stand before God and give account of our OWN lives.

This isn't to say we should be silent when there is injustice. We should fight against injustice but this type of thing doesn't come under that.

Just my view.

This is an interesting article, but at the end of the day it is for each person to decide based on their conscience.

http://www.upworthy.com/there-are-6-...hey-really-say

ReputationRep:
    Christianity obviously has Jewish roots and Judaism is very heavily centred on 'the family' and thus homosexuality and adultery for example were seen to be deviations from this.

ReputationRep:
    Homosexuality is a lust that is inflicted upon men for their fellow men and women for women. The curse is inflicted because of the sins of society. Namely the sins of irreverence and injustice, irreverence towards the Eternal Almighty and injustice between men.

PS This is not an opinion it is from Romans 1. Any issues regarding this should be directed heavenwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoraSikh)
    Christianity obviously has Jewish roots and Judaism is very heavily centred on 'the family' and thus homosexuality and adultery for example were seen to be deviations from this.
    yes. this is true of all the great religions including Hinduism, Sikhism etc.

ReputationRep:
    In the beginning there was a reason God created man and woman - yes we’re all equal in his eyes as individuals and nobody is perfect. But the story of Sodom and Gomorrah should be reason enough to show that God doesn’t like what homosexuals do. Even though he still loves them, he doesn’t want them to be that. There’s no where in the bible where it says ‘Husbands love your husbands’ or ‘Wives love your wives’.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matilda_b374)
    In the beginning there was a reason God created man and woman - yes we’re all equal in his eyes as individuals and nobody is perfect. But the story of Sodom and Gomorrah should be reason enough to show that God doesn’t like what homosexuals do. Even though he still loves them, he doesn’t want them to be that. There’s no where in the bible where it says ‘Husbands love your husbands’ or ‘Wives love your wives’.

I always believed that reason why God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah was their extreme violence.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christi...-and-gomorrah/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    I always believed that reason why God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah was their extreme violence.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christi...-and-gomorrah/
    That’s partly true but the overall reason was for their acts of homosexuality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukrj)
    Can you imagine what would happen if everyone decided they were gay?
    Yes. There would be a lot of happy people not living a lie any more. Can you tell me what the problem is if everyone decided to be gay? Kids would still be born / adopted and the human race would continue. So what is the problem again?

Or are you suggesting that only heterosexual people have the right to a family life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeryStudious)

Leviticus 18:22 King James Version (KJV)

22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Leviticus 18:27 King James Version (KJV)

27 (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled)

those two verses implies that homosexual activity defiles a nation/country.

Leviticus 20:13 King James Version (KJV)

13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

If God is putting the death penalty on this act, then he surely doesn't agree with it nor does he condone it.

Romans 1:18-32 King James Version (KJV)

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men,leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

The Bibles stance is quite clear on homosexuality, men sleeping with men is an abomination, any sort of sexual attraction to the same gender is against nature and is seen as lust (which is a sin as Jesus said).

Lastly, the reason why Christian are so against it, is because we are told:

1 Timothy 5:20 King James Version (KJV)

20 Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.

Homosexuality is a sin, so it is common for a Christian to rebuke to be against it. sin is evil and as the bible says:

Amos 5:15 King James Version (KJV)
    15 Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate: it may be that the Lord God of hosts will be gracious unto the remnant of Joseph.

ReputationRep:
    When religion becomes pick and choose based on how society blows in the wind, it loses any legitimacy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.