Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think I'm getting addicted to cigarettes, advice please? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for some advice or information based on personal experience to determine whether I am getting hooked on cigarettes or not.

I'll give you guys some background information, I've been smoking on rare occasions when I'm out probably for about a year now and that's only when say I start talking to somebody at a club and they offer me a smoke, however this was never a problem as i would only have a couple on the night and it would be months before I ever had any more.

Back in July while I was on holiday my friend and I were going out and decided to get our own packs of 20 each, we finished those packs in about 3 days or so just before returning home, when I got home we decided to buy another and since then it's kinda just been a social thing for me to smoke whenever I am out with friends.

Fine no problem, at this point I felt no need to have one during my normal day to day routine and I actually don't want to include them as part of my normal routine as that's when problems can start with getting addicted if you make it a regular thing.

So about a month later after one night clubbing, I think I smoked about 13, I started getting this slight urge to go and light one up at home, I ignored it and was like nope not having this, it went away and everything went away, i should mention at this point i have lit up from time to time again while having weed with my brother at home.

Anyways, a couple of weeks ago I went out on a weekend away for 3 days and smoked a pack for each of those days which isn't great I know, I even got to the point where I wasn't getting the nicotine rush that a lot of non regular smokers get, it just felt like a normal thing to do and became part of my routine while i was away.

The next day after returning home and getting back to work I felt no desire to smoke, great I thought, however the day after I thought I fancy having one in the evening and did, for the next few days in fact which i then stopped because I only wanna keep it a social thing.

The problem is i'm one of those people who actually enjoys smoking, I enjoy how calm it makes me feel and the head rush I get from doing it hence why I wanna do it socially, i've stopped myself from smoking anymore within the last 3 days but I swear to god I'm getting these small cravings for them, they are totally manageable don't get me wrong but my mind is like damnnn I really could do with one, this is almost always in the evenings and sometimes in the afternoon, never in the morning.

So I'm just after some opinions and advice on where I stand really, I know I probably be shouldn't smoking at all and should stop now but I genuinely do enjoy it when I'm out so I don't want to stop completely, just wanting to keep it under control.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    OP I'm very similar to this. Fairly often, although not much recently, I go out and smoke with actual smokers when I'm in pubs or clubs or whatever. When I've been in some European countries where smoking is allowed inside I've gone through quite a lot during the trip. Like you I enjoy it. Quite rarely I'll just fancy one in the middle of an ordinary day. But I don't go out and buy any, and so I don't have one. So there's not really a problem. :dontknow:

For the same reason I'm not really sure you have a problem either. A 'totally manageable' craving isn't on its face much of an issue. Unless it stays on your mind throughout the afternoon/evening and distracts you, in which case maybe cut down for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    OP I'm very similar to this. Fairly often, although not much recently, I go out and smoke with actual smokers when I'm in pubs or clubs or whatever. When I've been in some European countries where smoking is allowed inside I've gone through quite a lot during the trip. Like you I enjoy it. Quite rarely I'll just fancy one in the middle of an ordinary day. But I don't go out and buy any, and so I don't have one. So there's not really a problem. :dontknow:

For the same reason I'm not really sure you have a problem either. A 'totally manageable' craving isn't on its face much of an issue. Unless it stays on your mind throughout the afternoon/evening and distracts you, in which case maybe cut down for a bit.
    I actually came up with the idea of keeping the pack and lighter in my car so it's more of a pain and hassle for me to get one when I feel like having one and it's actually working well and it's played a big part in how I've managed to not have one for the last 3 days.

I don't think it's a problem yet *touchwood* I normally feel like having one for maybe 5 mins before the thought goes away, so I don't think it's a problem but I'm not sure if it's starting to get that way.

I do realise at this point I'm basically toying with it so I'm just trying to be as careful as I can

ReputationRep:
    I know this doesn’t help but, this is the opportunity for you to stop and never do it again. You are ruining your body, increasing your risk of cancer and COPD. Try and exercise some self control and stop smoking. It’s not “cool” to smoke socially, these people you socially smoke with won’t be there to hold your hand decades down the line when you’re spluttering and dying from lung cancer in a palliative care hospice at the age of 45.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Don't wanna give a lengthy talk but just a simple advice man , " look at those addicted to it especially when they get old and too a point where their addiction's symptoms become apparent and so much , even his/her family can't take it anymore", ask yourself , is this the right way to live a life?, is this good?...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.