Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which UK University has the most beautiful Campus? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which UK University has the most beautiful Campus?
    University of Exeter
    6.90%
    University of Sussex
    2.11%
    Bangor University
    1.34%
    Keele University
    3.41%
    University of Nottingham
    9.88%
    University of Bristol
    4.36%
    University of Oxford
    19.59%
    Royal Holloway, Uni of London
    6.64%
    University of Cambridge
    26.49%
    University of St Andrews
    5.48%
    University of Birmingham
    7.72%
    University of Aberdeen
    1.34%
    University of Greenwich
    2.42%
    Queen's University Belfast
    2.33%

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Based on this shortlist:

https://blog.holidaylettings.co.uk/m...ies-campus-uk/

Which UK University do you think has the prettiest campus?:beard:

Post your thoughts below.

I know who I'm voting for...:dance:

STUDENTS: Defend your universities with honour!!!!:sparta:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Update no. 1:

Cambridge take an early lead after just 2 hours.:beard:

Spoiler:
    Show
    :bump:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm not really sure it's fair to include Oxford and Cambridge on the list, as they're not actually campus universities and own half their respective cities - so they have a lot more "beauty" to potentially draw from

For it's many faults, barring some of the horrible buildings - old and new (and the fact it's on a soul crushing hill) - Exeter is quite a charming little campus, if you're into that. However it was much nicer before the sprawling forum was set up, or so I'm told by the old hands there, with more little wooded pathways between the buildings and so on.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    I'm not really sure it's fair to include Oxford and Cambridge on the list, as they're not actually campus universities and own half their respective cities - so they have a lot more "beauty" to potentially draw from

For it's many faults, barring some of the horrible buildings - old and new (and the fact it's on a soul crushing hill) - Exeter is quite a charming little campus, if you're into that. However it was much nicer before the sprawling forum was set up, or so I'm told by the old hands there, with more little wooded pathways between the buildings and so on.
    I suppose each college is effectively it's own campus then. I just used the list from the linked article.

Exeter was popular in the article too. Still not my choice though...

P.S. You didn't vote for Exeter:confused:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I suppose each college is effectively it's own campus then. I just used the list from the linked article.

Exeter was popular in the article too. Still not my choice though...

P.S. You didn't vote for Exeter:confused:
    Oh that's because Exeter doesn't even begin to compare to Cambridge While some qualities of the campus are nice, Cambridge is like that but...everywhere (well, everywhere I go ). It's also FLAT which immediately gets my vote :x
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Oh that's because Exeter doesn't even begin to compare to Cambridge While some qualities of the campus are nice, Cambridge is like that but...everywhere (well, everywhere I go ). It's also FLAT which immediately gets my vote :x
    Not flat going up to Murray Edwards or anywhere up there (not even thinking about Girton...)
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Update no. 2:

3 hours in and Oxford and Keele have scores on the leader-board. Can they reach the heights of Cambridge who are still storming ahead?

Spoiler:
    Show
    :bump:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Not flat going up to Murray Edwards or anywhere up there (not even thinking about Girton...)
    Pfft, why would I ever go to Girton

Still, it's not too bad overall om that front, and you have Jesus Green, the Midsummer Common, Christ's Piece and so on that anyone can enjoy even before you get to the college and university grounds themselves, along with the many historic and listed buildings around the city otherwise (many of which are associated with the university some way or another otherwise ofc...).

When you include the actual university sites, and moreover the college grounds themselves...
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Pfft, why would I ever go to Girton

Still, it's not too bad overall om that front, and you have Jesus Green, the Midsummer Common, Christ's Piece and so on that anyone can enjoy even before you get to the college and university grounds themselves, along with the many historic and listed buildings around the city otherwise (many of which are associated with the university some way or another otherwise ofc...).

When you include the actual university sites, and moreover the college grounds themselves...
    I think this is suppose to be sticking to university (i.e. college) grounds. You're giving me some significant nostalgia here artful....:daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    Having visited well over 60 universities in my career, then I'd actually go for St Andrews over Cambridge.

St Andrews is far more consistently attractive, while parts of Cambridge are an eye sore (some of the Mill Lane buildings, Robinson College, plenty of the faculty building like History or Engineering, and most of the Sidgwick site).

Plus there's a calmer feel to St Andrews - none of the getting run over by cyclists every time you try to cross the street and only a fraction of the tourists. Plus it wins as it has a beach.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think this is suppose to be sticking to university (i.e. college) grounds. You're giving me some significant nostalgia here artful....:daydreaming:
    Well I mean, TECHNICALLY Jesus Green and Christ's Piece ARE college grounds unless they've offloaded them to the council ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There are plenty of ugly buildings to be fair *cough*the entire west site*cough*

Unless you like gaudy boxes with questionable cladding I suppose
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Well I mean, TECHNICALLY Jesus Green and Christ's Piece ARE college grounds unless they've offloaded them to the council ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There are plenty of ugly buildings to be fair *cough*the entire west site*cough*

Unless you like gaudy boxes with questionable cladding I suppose
    Brutalism is on the decline.:sadnod: Queens' typewriter building comes to mind...:rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Having visited well over 60 universities in my career, then I'd actually go for St Andrews over Cambridge.

St Andrews is far more consistently attractive, while parts of Cambridge are an eye sore (some of the Mill Lane buildings, Robinson College, plenty of the faculty building like History or Engineering, and most of the Sidgwick site).

Plus there's a calmer feel to St Andrews - none of the getting run over by cyclists every time you try to cross the street. Plus it wins as it has a beach.
    Interesting.:beard:

Didn't know it had a beach!

And I have to say I found that Bristol had more bikes than Cambridge....

At Cambridge I was more concerned about the huge buses on the narrow streets.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Brutalism is on the decline.:sadnod: Queens' typewriter building comes to mind...:rolleyes:
    I think the major issue is the typical materials used in brutalist structures tend to weather really poorly in the UK climate, so they quickly look a lot uglier than they would otherwise. I do loathe the DAB...

I much prefer the Sainsbury lab; it has the (sometimes) nice modernist style but rendered in the sandstone like materials to evoke the classical college structures. Probably one of my favourite buildings - they should use it as a model for the west sites stuff imo xD Probably helps to have the lush botanic gardens foliage framing it though

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff student here, and I love the look of our uni, but I have to give my vote to Aberdeen. The history in those stones is breathtaking for anyone's ocular receptors to be graced with witnessing.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    Cardiff student here, and I love the look of our uni, but I have to give my vote to Aberdeen. The history in those stones is breathtaking for anyone's ocular receptors to be graced with witnessing.
    Scotland enters the race!!!:dance:
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper

Hey! One of those ugly buildings has just been grade 1 listed!

ReputationRep:
    Scotland enters the race!!!:dance:
    If any Scottish uni is going to win it'll be St. Andrews or Edinburgh :rofl: Old Aberdeen is definitely an acquired taste in the way St.A and Edin aren't ^^;
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I think the major issue is the typical materials used in brutalist structures tend to weather really poorly in the UK climate, so they quickly look a lot uglier than they would otherwise. I do loathe the DAB...

I much prefer the Sainsbury lab; it has the (sometimes) nice modernist style but rendered in the sandstone like materials to evoke the classical college structures. Probably one of my favourite buildings - they should use it as a model for the west sites stuff imo xD Probably helps to have the lush botanic gardens foliage framing it though
    Everyone is welcome to their architectural preferences. I saw a news piece last year (or so...) arguing that we need to stop demolishing all these brutalist buildings because there'll be non left at this rate. The point behind the design was always about the practicality of the interior, never the aesthetic of the exterior.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    hey! One of those ugly buildings has just been grade 1 listed!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.