Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which UK University has the most beautiful Campus? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which UK University has the most beautiful Campus?
    University of Exeter
    6.91%
    University of Sussex
    2.12%
    Bangor University
    1.34%
    Keele University
    3.37%
    University of Nottingham
    9.89%
    University of Bristol
    4.36%
    University of Oxford
    19.60%
    Royal Holloway, Uni of London
    6.61%
    University of Cambridge
    26.51%
    University of St Andrews
    5.48%
    University of Birmingham
    7.73%
    University of Aberdeen
    1.34%
    University of Greenwich
    2.42%
    Queen's University Belfast
    2.33%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Interesting.:beard:

Didn't know it had a beach!

And I have to say I found that Bristol had more bikes than Cambridge....

At Cambridge I was more concerned about the huge buses on the narrow streets.
    It's right on the coast! Some of the buildings back on to parts of the beach. It's very easy to walk to the beach from most of the campus where it is such a small town too.

It has all the charm of Cambridge, just none of the hectic aspects (practically no traffic in comparison to the hell that is Cambridge). Some may find it a little too quiet though. But although it was always the most painful to get to in terms of location, then I use to love going there because I actually got to see it.

I worked as a recruiter where I exclusively looked after Cambridge for nearly a year and probably visited over 60 times in that year alone so I have seen a lot of it. Although there are obviously some stunning buildings that will attract the most attention, it can be equally as ugly as it is pretty!

I could never put Bristol on the list. It has some nice buildings but the city is ugly as hell and the campus is mashed between parts of the city. Plus they have destroyed some of the nicer large town house buildings by trying to connect them together with walkways and extensions.

I'm trying to now think which university is the worst I have been to in terms of appearance. Sussex is springing to mind or maybe Warwick.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is welcome to their architectural preferences. I saw a news piece last year (or so...) arguing that we need to stop demolishing all these brutalist buildings because there'll be non left at this rate. The point behind the design was always about the practicality of the interior, never the aesthetic of the exterior.
    Well there's always gonna be the bunker, since they've worked out it's too expensive to demolish it anyway...they actually considered moving the security office there (hilariously) but I think they determined actually retrofitting the building for human habitation would be too expensive

But they are preserving some - the DAB unfortunately being one of them. The whale improves things, somewhat :x I actually think the typewriter is one of the better examples of the style, and would be worth preserving as it isn't quite so awful as many other examples
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    To be fair it's not one of the boxes with the gaudy cladding, it's the hedgehog at the far end.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Well there's always gonna be the bunker, since they've worked out it's too expensive to demolish it anyway...they actually considered moving the security office there (hilariously) but I think they determined actually retrofitting the building for human habitation would be too expensive

But they are preserving some - the DAB unfortunately being one of them. The whale improves things, somewhat :x I actually think the typewriter is one of the better examples of the style, and would be worth preserving as it isn't quite so awful as many other examples
    can't imagine living in the typewriter though. Give me Magdalene any day!!!:drool:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    It's right on the coast! Some of the buildings back on to parts of the beach. It's very easy to walk to the beach from most of the campus where it is such a small town too.

It has all the charm of Cambridge, just none of the hectic aspects (practically no traffic in comparison to the hell that is Cambridge). Some may find it a little too quiet though. But although it was always the most painful to get to in terms of location, then I use to love going there because I actually got to see it.

I worked as a recruiter where I exclusively looked after Cambridge for nearly a year and probably visited over 60+ times in that year alone so I have seen a lot of it. Although there are obviously some stunning buildings that will attract the most attention, it can be equally as ugly as it is pretty!
    Walking is the best way to get around Cambridge if you live in a central enough college.:yep:

Those roads were not made for motorised vehicles...
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Votes too for Sussex and Birmingham. Interesting.:beard:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Walking is the best way to get around Cambridge if you live in a central enough college.:yep:

Those roads were not made for motorised vehicles...
    Being all suited and booted for work + travelling from London = inability to cycle and a lifetime spent calling Panther for taxis to and from the station instead.

Even if cycling was an option, I'd fear for my life.

The only problem with any of these beautiful places is that I live in high heel shoes and hate cobbles.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Votes too for Sussex and Birmingham. Interesting.:beard:
    I'm surprised to see Sussex in the list. I must have only seen the ugly end of it, because the parts I have seen just look like slabs of concrete.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Being all suited and booted for work + travelling from London = inability to cycle and a lifetime spent calling Panther for taxis to and from the station instead.

The only problem with any of these beautiful places is that I live in high heel shoes and hate cobbles.
    That is unfortunate.:sadnod:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Queen's University Belfast also has a vote now.

The challengers are coming.

Cambridge still in the lead, with Oxford in clear second.

It's like the boat race.:dance:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Tagging in the Keele crew.

#ItsTheKeeleDifference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)

Pic of the heels.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Pic of the heels.
    Creepy much?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Creepy much?!
    Hahahahaha.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Queen's University Belfast also has a vote now.

The challengers are coming.

Cambridge still in the lead, with Oxford in clear second.

It's like the boat race.:dance:
    Except Cambridge rarely win that of late.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Tagging in the Keele crew.

#ItsTheKeeleDifference
    But I also studied at Nottingham and it was glorious!

I guess Keele had squirrels rather than overly friendly geese though. Hmm.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    But I also studied at Nottingham and it was glorious!

I guess Keele had squirrels rather than overly friendly geese though. Hmm.
    At this point I will be neutral and withdraw from influencing your opinions further...

Spoiler:
    Show
    P.S. VOTE FOR KEELE!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mob:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I'm surprised to see Sussex in the list. I must have only seen the ugly end of it, because the parts I have seen just look like slabs of concrete.
    Likewise, and I've seen the whole campus. Guess someone's just a fan of Brutalism...erm, if I'm thinking of Brutalism correctly.

To be honest "it just looks like slabs of concrete" describes a lot of Sussex in general perfectly.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Voted :parrot:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Voted :parrot:
    Keele is now in a comfortable third:yay:

Good morning by the way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.