Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which UK University has the most beautiful Campus? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which UK University has the most beautiful Campus?
    University of Exeter
    6.90%
    University of Sussex
    2.11%
    Bangor University
    1.34%
    Keele University
    3.41%
    University of Nottingham
    9.88%
    University of Bristol
    4.36%
    University of Oxford
    19.59%
    Royal Holloway, Uni of London
    6.64%
    University of Cambridge
    26.49%
    University of St Andrews
    5.48%
    University of Birmingham
    7.72%
    University of Aberdeen
    1.34%
    University of Greenwich
    2.42%
    Queen's University Belfast
    2.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Keele is now in a comfortable third:yay:

Good morning by the way.
    :woo:

Good morning

ReputationRep:
    I think Lancaster deserves an honourable mention
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceGeek1878)
    An honourable mention for not being beautiful?

It has that very unfortunate look of being built somewhere between 1960-1990 feel to it for me.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford, most beautiful uni I've ever seen, specially New College, Christ Church College, Brasenose College etc.

ReputationRep:
    BCU Perry Barr or maybe Wolverhampton.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ScienceGeek1878)
    Hello again!:hi:

Long time no see...:hmmm:
    (Original post by J-SP)

It has that very unfortunate look of being built somewhere between 1960-1990 feel to it for me.
    Savage.:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)

Each to their own, I do disagree though.

ReputationRep:
    The Bowland Tower is basically a 1960s council estate.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how many people have been to multiple sites.

Cambridge has a lot of beautiful buildings scattered throughout the city, but campus?

Never been to Oxford.

Nottingham is spectacular. Edinburgh. Royal Holloway.

I really, really love the bit by the river at Nottingham, but that isn't the whole campus. Royal Holloway has gorgeous buildings but it gets a bit samey.

I think Nottingham edges it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    I wonder how many people have been to multiple sites.

Cambridge has a lot of beautiful buildings scattered throughout the city, but campus?

Never been to Oxford.

Nottingham is spectacular. Edinburgh. Royal Holloway.

I really, really love the bit by the river at Nottingham, but that isn't the whole campus. Royal Holloway has gorgeous buildings but it gets a bit samey.

I think Nottingham edges it.
    Agree with Royal Holloway - it's just a shame where it is.

Nottingham wouldn't even be in my top 20 I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    !:sparta:
    Some of the choices are not 'a campus' - you should delete Oxbridge - some of the coilleges are pretty ugly anyway e.g. St Anne's.

Also I doubt that very few people have actually visited ALL of them .. so how can they compare them??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Oxford, most beautiful uni I've ever seen, specially New College, Christ Church College, Brasenose College etc.
    It's not 'a campus' though and what about the ugly colleges?

ReputationRep:
    Tie between Oxford and Cambridge, IMO!

York was a disappointment, compared to the town.

Durham is very beautiful. Glasgow isn't bad, either, although it has some god-awful buildings thrown in the mix of the beautiful historic ones. No idea what possessed architects in the 60s and after. I like Edinburgh campus but it's highly integrated into the city and Edinburgh itself is very beautiful, so that helps. St Andrews I liked.

(Original post by J-SP)

The old buildings are hideous. The newer stuff is a bit better and the university has very beautiful premises, but the main campus I would agree is in need of a good demolition and rebuild.

Again, the town itself is quaint, but the university's buildings are an eyesore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    It's not 'a campus' though and what about the ugly colleges?
    Most universities that are truly one "campus" are pretty ugly where they are purpose made, out of the main town/city structures. Any university with a decent level of history tends to be scattered across parts of the city or town.

I think we can use the term campus as just the broad term of a university site for the purpose of this poll. Otherwise most of the universities mentioned are actually eliminated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCA2b)
    Tie between Oxford and Cambridge, IMO!

York was a disappointment, compared to the town.

Durham is very beautiful. Glasgow isn't bad, either, although it has some god-awful buildings thrown in the mix of the beautiful historic ones. No idea what possessed architects in the 60s and after. I like Edinburgh campus but it's highly integrated into the city and Edinburgh itself is very beautiful, so that helps. St Andrews I liked.

The old buildings are hideous. The newer stuff is a bit better and the university has very beautiful premises, but the main campus I would agree is in need of a good demolition and rebuild.

Again, the town itself is quaint, but the university's buildings are an eyesore.
    Agreed - a bit like York. The town/city is far better than the campus. Same could be said for Durham. Parts of Durham as a town/city are beautiful but the university itself is pretty bluerghhhh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Most universities that are truly one "campus" are pretty ugly where they are purpose made, out of the main town/city structures. Any university with a decent level of history tends to be scattered across parts of the city or town.

I think we can use the term campus as just the broad term of a university site for the purpose of this poll. Otherwise most of the universities mentioned are actually eliminated.
    Exeter has what I would describe as 'a campus'.hence why I voted for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Exeter has what I would describe as 'a campus'.hence why I voted for it.
    Except it has multiple locations. So is not "one campus"

Streatham is an eye sore.

St Luke's is somewhat better

Penryn is all very modern and swish, but lacks character. However like St Andrews, it benefits of having a beach (and a very pretty one at that).

ReputationRep:
    Obviously this is UK only, but if it wasn't then Harvard and Yale would be ahead of most of these for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree on that.

(Original post by J-SP)
    Agreed - a bit like York. The town/city is far better than the campus. Same could be said for Durham. Parts of Durham as a town/city are beautiful but the university itself is pretty bluerghhhh.
    I think Durham has the advantage of still having some beautiful architecture to its name. Lancaster literally has none. It's all really ugly modern buildings, barring the newer premises, which are passable. Whatever architectural movement spawned these monstrosities, I will be glad to see it excised from history books!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Except it has multiple locations. So is not "one campus"

Streatham is an eye sore.

St Luke's is somewhat better

Penryn is all very modern and swish, but lacks character. However like St Andrews, it benefits of having a beach (and a very pretty one at that).
    The campus of the actual university is Streatham - St Luke's is 'associated' but separate - Penryn is also associated. Applications are separate so, imho, they are not the 'same' uni.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.