Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which UK University has the most beautiful Campus? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which UK University has the most beautiful Campus?
    University of Exeter
    6.91%
    University of Sussex
    2.12%
    Bangor University
    1.34%
    Keele University
    3.37%
    University of Nottingham
    9.89%
    University of Bristol
    4.36%
    University of Oxford
    19.60%
    Royal Holloway, Uni of London
    6.61%
    University of Cambridge
    26.51%
    University of St Andrews
    5.48%
    University of Birmingham
    7.73%
    University of Aberdeen
    1.34%
    University of Greenwich
    2.42%
    Queen's University Belfast
    2.33%

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordofbutthurt)
    From google images durham and it's not even close. (if the main castle on the island is the actual university)

Then it's (in no particular order) cambridge, glasgow, nottingham, st andrews.

Then Oxford, aberdeen, bristol and so on.

Purely on uni buildings and not including the surrounding city/greenery I'd say the best is oxford (ruined by all the roads through it).
    Durham University is not isolated to the castle. It occupies most of the city. Not really much of a campus uni to be honest.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    Sussex?

Is this real life?
    I can confirm (if you read the article) that Sussex was included in the list.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I think you mean Canterbury Christchurch University.

https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/about-u...uilding-3.aspx
    That reminded me of the opening of the muppet show.

ReputationRep:
    How was Reading not there the vast majority of the site is lovely I'll grant you the buildings just inside Early gate entrance are a bit crummy but it's got some great grounds and some really nice looking buildings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    How was Reading not there the vast majority of the site is lovely I'll grant you the buildings just inside Early gate entrance are a bit crummy but it's got some great grounds and some really nice looking buildings.
    I assume by Reading you mean the Whiteknights Campus.

I think 20 years ago, it would have been on the list but frankly it is now over-developed for the amount of land they have. Nottingham is lucky that the bottom end of the Highfields Estate was laid out as a public park, which means the formal buildings of the university have preserved, and always will preserve, an elegant setting regarding of what happens with the rest of the campus.

Although the Greenlands campus is prettier than Whiteknights, it is still arguably overdeveloped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I assume by Reading you mean the Whiteknights Campus.

I think 20 years ago, it would have been on the list but frankly it is now over-developed for the amount of land they have. Nottingham is lucky that the bottom end of the Highfields Estate was laid out as a public park, which means the formal buildings of the university have preserved, and always will preserve, an elegant setting regarding of what happens with the rest of the campus.

Although the Greenlands campus is prettier than Whiteknights, it is still arguably overdeveloped.
    I do mean Whiteknights I haven't seen the others I wen there on a trip in year 10 it's actually that trip that made me wan to go to uni although i didn't go to reading as they didn';t do the course i also live in reading and wanted to see if i could do it my self (i did)..

ReputationRep:
    So where is the University of Durham on this listing pray tell me? And specifically, Hild-Bede campus? Durham has to be the most idyllic uni in the land!

Name:  Durham.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  9.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Durham University is not isolated to the castle. It occupies most of the city. Not really much of a campus uni to be honest.
    Says who? If you are going to set up a poll, then make it fair and include all universities and then whittle it down. You could use the Sunday Times Top 100 list, or allow members to add the nomination of their choice. Otherwise, sorry, but your results are totally meaningless.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnRuffle)
    Says who? If you are going to set up a poll, then make it fair and include all universities and then whittle it down. You could use the Sunday Times Top 100 list, or allow members to add the nomination of their choice. Otherwise, sorry, but your results are totally meaningless.
    There are limits to the number of poll options available on TSR.

Did I ever mention this having meaning in the first place?:curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnRuffle)
    Durham has to be the most idyllic uni in the land!
    As far as I am concerned, for natural beauty it is Stirling and for the built environment, Greenwich from the river.

ReputationRep:
    You missed Edge Hill University in Lancashire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy545)
    You missed Edge Hill University in Lancashire
    Yes. Do you think that if I try hard I can keep missing it?

ReputationRep:
    Its got to be Keele. Largest campus uni in Europe, picturesque Keele Hall, so much green everywhere, the Library is a pretty impressive piece of architecture, and once all the construction work is finished, Keele is definitely one of the contenders for the most beautiful university in the UK. Cambridge and Oxford are nice, but then again, the whole centre of both towns is very pretty.

ReputationRep:
    Where is Stirling though?

ReputationRep:
    Edge Hill University

ReputationRep:
    I live in Birmingham, the actual city isn't great, but the university campus is beautiful

ReputationRep:
    I think Liverpool Hope is a contender. Check out the Literary Rose Garden.

ReputationRep:
    Falmouth University in Cornwall has a lot of lovely gardens and a lovely mixture of old and new buildings. There is also an outdoor amphitheatre being build near the Academy of Music and Theatre Arts. Set again the picturesque Cornish landscape, it's a real contender for a strong place in my book!

ReputationRep:
    A peculiar poll as the term 'campus university' generally refers to where accommodation, teaching, research and leisure facilities are all on the same site.
    So the 'plate glass' universities of the 1960s (late 50s in the case of Exeter, which you've included. You've also included Sussex) could arguably all be on the choices e.g. East Anglia, Kent, Lancaster, Warwick, and York. Now, in practice I know that some, if not all, of these, are aesthetically divisise as a place to live, even though architecturally interesting for a visitor, in places, York particularly so until about 35 years in to its history when it started to get notable extensions and renovations.

I am very fond of some of the small group of late redbrick universities that were actually partially early foreunners of the plate glass universities. Leicester has a very striking campus, arranged in a harmoniously postmodernist way, part traditional brick, part high tech and brutalism, (including the world famous Engineering Building by James Stirling- the Charles Wilson building is equally striking in a National Theatre kind of way) and its close knitness could fool people in to thinking that it is a fully 'campus university' but the accommodation thankfully,is elsewhere eg in beautiful Oadby. From what I've seen of Reading, it's the Berkshire equivalent of
    Leicester University - solid, historic, brick building base (nothing faux gothic like many other redbricks indistinguishable from each other had instead) and modern additions that show an interest in telling a kind of architectural story. I'd say that their 'historic modernness' isn't as
    frequent as might be thought and I believe that the personality of a student base at university is partly determined by its sympathy and
    reaction to its environment, which is largely architectural at university. The two universities are rarely more than 3 places away from each
    other in overall league tables either, although for certain subjects there are big differences of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    nothing faux gothic
    Foxhill House (Reading's law faculty) was Alfred Waterhouse's (Manchester Town Hall, Prudential Building in Holborn, the old University College Hospital, Oxford Union) own house. He makes George Gilbert Scott look like Gropius

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.