Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which UK University has the most beautiful Campus? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which UK University has the most beautiful Campus?
    University of Exeter
    6.91%
    University of Sussex
    2.12%
    Bangor University
    1.34%
    Keele University
    3.37%
    University of Nottingham
    9.89%
    University of Bristol
    4.36%
    University of Oxford
    19.60%
    Royal Holloway, Uni of London
    6.61%
    University of Cambridge
    26.51%
    University of St Andrews
    5.48%
    University of Birmingham
    7.73%
    University of Aberdeen
    1.34%
    University of Greenwich
    2.42%
    Queen's University Belfast
    2.33%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    :yy:

I think I've got plans for something more substantial than this in the future. Gonna need to let this one fizzle out first though...
    I look forward to the "debate" when it does come around.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I look forward to the "debate" when it does come around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    No need to defend yourself.

Any sensible person will understand that the definition of campus is just the grounds/buildings of a university. As mentioned before, if we eliminated any that were not an exclusive, all enclosed, dedicated sole space, there wouldn't be an interesting poll in the first place due to lack of universities that would meet the criteria.
    Nonsense! TSR even carries an article about it, with reasonably correct definition, which shows there are plenty of true campus universities to choose from.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...unis-in-the-uk
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Nonsense! TSR even carries an article about it, with reasonably correct definition, which shows there are plenty of true campus universities to choose from.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...unis-in-the-uk
    Just because something doesn't align with your viewpoint, does not make it nonsense.

I'll go with the Oxford Dictionary definition, or is that nonsense too?

You must be really fun at parties

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Pfft, why would I ever go to Girton
    Because it has more space than most of the other colleges?

Also, there is no disputing how good it can look -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I'll go with the Oxford Dictionary definition,
    The problem, for you, is that Oxford and Cambridge do not have grounds within which their buildings are situated, a campus. The best you could do there would be to claim that each college has its own campus, and even that is dodgy as (a) they don't and (b) it excludes the departments.

I'm amazed you are even arguing the point. There is no reasonable argument in favourof Oxford and Cambridge being campus universities.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    For someone who gets narky about misinterpretating people's posts, you are a hypocrite.

I have never made this out to be about Oxford or Cambridge. The campus definition you are using would eliminate most of the universities on the list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    For someone who gets narky about misinterpretating people's posts, you are a hypocrite.

I have never made this out to be about Oxford or Cambridge. The campus definition you are using would eliminate most of the universities on the list.
    I've just used Oxford and Cambridge as obvious examples. I didn't say you didn't have other errors. The TSR article I linked shows there are plenty of campus universities.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Some of us will see the difference between a university campus and a campus university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Some of us will see the difference between a university campus and a campus university
    I think we all do. The former is the campus that belongs to the latter. Only the latter have the former, and not all of us are willing to accept that, it seems.

Of course, you don't have to take my word for it; you can see what the university says about the matter:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/visitors/visiting-oxford?wssl=1

It says:

Oxford is not a campus university, so it is not all located on one site. It is made up of many different buildings, including academic departments, colleges and halls, located around the centre of Oxford.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Or some are not willing to accept that every university has a campus by its most reasonable definition. Just some universites have a little bit more going for them than just one campus, and so are not exclusively a campus university.

:boring:

ReputationRep:
    Roe Hampton has a nice library

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    are not exclusively a campus university.
    If a university is not a campus university it is not a campus university. It cannot be a campus university and a non-campus university. The two categories are mutually exclusive. You seem to be tying yourself in knots here. Oxford, for one, states it isn't a campus university. That ought to be enough for you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I am not tying myself in knots - my point is simple, you just don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald777O)
    Roe Hampton has a nice library
    hehe. So do Bray's Nose, Glam Organ, Swan Sea and Stir Ling.

ReputationRep:
    hehe. So do Bray's Nose, Glam Organ, Swan Sea and Stir Ling.
    Never heard of any of them lol

ReputationRep:
    If a university is not a campus university it is not a campus university. It cannot be a campus university and a non-campus university. The two categories are mutually exclusive. You seem to be tying yourself in knots here. Oxford, for one, states it isn't a campus university. That ought to be enough for you.
    So what is a non-campus university with a campus, such as Oxford?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    So what is a non-campus university with a campus, such as Oxford?
    As it says itself, Oxford is a non-campus university. It has no campus. It has many sites, though, within the city. Nottingham, Bath, Brunel and RHUL are good examples of campus universities

ReputationRep:
    As it says itself, Oxford is a non-campus university. It has no campus.
    Don't tell the Vice-Chancellor

http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/estates/ne...235615_en.html
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Exeter has no character? Exeter St Luke’s looks like nice but the rest of the campus looked pretty poopy. Royal Holloway has amazing Character and so does Bristol. Oxford and Cambridge is too hard to judge because some of the colleges are ugly and some are beautiful so it depends, but based off photos St. Andrews wins!

I’m surprised you’ve left out Glasgow, Durham (university college would be the main campus) and Kings College London, they all look incredible but especially KCL at night since you’ve got the city lights and view

And just to get in on the debate, Oxford and Cambridge are Collegiate Universities NOT Campus universities. Pretty much every other university in the UK is a Campus university or has a main campus building, although Durham is a hybrid since it has a collegiate system but it’s adapted to fit a campus style system, I’d say it’s a campus university with University College being its main campus.

Bottom line, either list the Oxford and Cambridge colleges or remove them from the vote.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.