Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to gain some advice. I recently left my old job for a new one mostly because it offered better hours, as opposed to shift work.

However I've been in my new job for a week, and absolutely hate it. The people I'm training with are awful. As they started a moth earlier than me, they seem to have their own big clique, and spend most of their day talking about how off ther face on drugs they were at such and such rave. They talk about drugs all the time, every day, and the rest of the time they spend *****ing about this old man who brings the post around.

Apparently this man has been working there for years, and I think he might be a little slow. He has no partner/ family, apart from being a carer for his brother. However when he comes in to deliver the post, they talk to him in a really condescending way, and because he's a bit slow they purposely ask him questions which they know he'll provide a silly answer to, and then they openly snigger and look at each other, and spend the rest of the day making nasty comments about him.

It just reminded me of school bullies. Why would you pick on someone who has so much less than you? And what's worse is even the trainer manager *****es about him. It makes me feel so uncomfortable, it's like being sat with a group of petty, school bullies.

And aside from that, most of the people there seem to have purposefully not made any effort to speak to me, at all. Any effort I make falls flat on my face.
    For example, yesterday this one girl who hasn't even said hi to me since I started was talking about volunteering in a museum. I thought I'll try and make some effort, and asked what sort of history the museum covers, and she literally turned her head away from me and blanked me! So I repeated my self, and she just snapped "all history", which is unlikely. I then said that I had a History degree to perhaps establish some common ground, and she literally just gave a tiny nod to her head and looked away. What is wrong with some people?

No one is training me, I'm just sat on my own whilst they're all on a big table together, and I'm really down about the thought of going back. In my old job yes the hours weren't great, and the work wasn't the best (contact centre), but the people I worked with were so lovely, and now I just feel like I've lost all that and am working somewhere which is just sucking the confidence away from me. I feel uncomfortable all day, and am dreading the thought of going back Monday. I'm naturally a very happy go lucky person, but I can feel this place sucking all that out of me and I just feel really in my shell.

I don't know what to do

ReputationRep:
    I've never worked, just using social experience I've gained over the years. It's vital that you don't get into a mindset of trying to prove your worth to awful people, you'll end up working and simultaneously acting and end up even more drained. Try and find the core of their *****y behavior and work around the edges of it, it's usually a person and the others are acting to fit in. Find the people who you think are betraying their hearts the most, they tend to be most relieved when someone with a positive aura is raw and straight up to them, but sometimes this can backfire and they might 'socially sacrifice' you to the core by talking about you behind your back to gain social clout. I might be rambling here no clue what I'm saying lmao. But yeah just do some belly breathing and talk to the guy they bully to get some context, do some good and don't betray yourself, the drugs burn away the good in people, they see optimism and positivity as naivety so tone it down to realism. Say things bluntly and project your voice while being yourself, make eye contact with someone initially when talking to them then look away and occupy yourself while speaking, for some reason people gravitate towards that, lmao idk man im just replying cause this got no replies and that's not cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by portvaldes)
    I've never worked, just using social experience I've gained over the years. It's vital that you don't get into a mindset of trying to prove your worth to awful people, you'll end up working and simultaneously acting and end up even more drained. Try and find the core of their *****y behavior and work around the edges of it, it's usually a person and the others are acting to fit in. Find the people who you think are betraying their hearts the most, they tend to be most relieved when someone with a positive aura is raw and straight up to them, but sometimes this can backfire and they might 'socially sacrifice' you to the core by talking about you behind your back to gain social clout. I might be rambling here no clue what I'm saying lmao. But yeah just do some belly breathing and talk to the guy they bully to get some context, do some good and don't betray yourself, the drugs burn away the good in people, they see optimism and positivity as naivety so tone it down to realism. Say things bluntly and project your voice while being yourself, make eye contact with someone initially when talking to them then look away and occupy yourself while speaking, for some reason people gravitate towards that, lmao idk man im just replying cause this got no replies and that's not cool
    Thank you for the lovely reply. I know that's exactly what I think, usually in this situation there are a couple of very strong characters and then everyone fits around them, and changes their behaviour to fit in, which is quite sad. Either that or their all just not very pleasant!

It's so strange to me how people can be so unwelcoming. Whenever I've worked and have had a new person join the team, I've made a conscious effort to be really welcoming and to offer support, I don't understand why some would actively do the opposite to that.

Maybe next week something will change.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.