Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    "I asked an online forum what my opening line for my personal statement should be, and this is the best/only option I was given"

ReputationRep:
    I always find this works:

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago—never mind how long precisely—having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.

ReputationRep:
    I have a few ideas:
    I am justice
    I will be God of the new world
    I am vengence, I am the night, I am [insert name here]

Hope I helped.

ReputationRep:
    I like wearing wigs

My dad is in prison

I feel a section 18 coming on.

I like dressing up in tight costumes.

ReputationRep:
    From a young age, I wanted to pursue law because of my parents.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you don't give me an offer, I will sue.

ReputationRep:
    I want to study law so I can learn how to commit crimes and not get caught

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.