Etiquette on attending a funeral mass / cremation? Watch

oldboy2007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I would like to pay my respects to someone I once know who has recently died. Well, it's one of my former teachers from school (I've left a while). So it's kinda a public funeral cos lots of people.

1) do you / are you allowed to bring flowers to a funeral mass in a church?

2) do you have to attend both the mass and the cremation? Would it be rude to just attend the cremation?
threeportdrift
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by oldboy2007)
I would like to pay my respects to someone I once know who has recently died. Well, it's one of my former teachers from school (I've left a while). So it's kinda a public funeral cos lots of people.

1) do you / are you allowed to bring flowers to a funeral mass in a church?

2) do you have to attend both the mass and the cremation? Would it be rude to just attend the cremation?
Normally, unless you are family or very close (which your description would not be) you wouldn't bring flowers. Usually the mass/service is for the larger group and the cremation is reserved for close family and friends. So no flowers, dark clothing, and quiet attendance at mass/service would be the usual form (in the UK). Has there been any sort of invitation circulated, or notice in the paper indicating anything else?
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A lot of families prefer guests to donate to a specific charity rather than spend money on flowers. Understandable as flowers just die anyway and the money could help a good cause instead.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The above posts are correct. Take cash for a donation not flowers.
As a general rule, if there is a mass/service you should go to that rather than the crematorium or a grave site. Leave those for the family/close friends to say their goodbyes
If there was just a service at the crem, then you’d go obviously.
If it’s going to be a large funeral, there may be an announcement in the local paper giving any specific details that are “out of the ordinary “ such as clothing arrangements
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (358)
56.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.65%

Watched Threads