Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Maybe if they're a first year, anyone into clinicals will be doing 35-40.
    I know, but it's the OP's first year as well, 19 hours seems a bit much for the first semester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilly182)
    So...
    I've had a family holiday booked for a while now but I'm worried about what i'll be missing at uni. I'm studying speech therapy and we have been told attendance is important. This is my first year and I will be missing 5 days, a total of 19 hours lecture/seminar time. I'm stuck with what to do.. should I just miss out on my family holiday or go and write an email to my personal advisor? I can work from where i'll be staying as i'll have wifi. I really don't want to miss seeing my family as theres a big group of us and they live far away, some are coming from Australia.
    What are your thoughts?
    I studied Speech and Language Therapy at Marjon (graduated in 2014), and they always took attendance and kept track of my attendance record. Any absences longer than 3 consecutive days had to be explained/evidenced.

I don't know which uni you go to, but I wouldn't advise missing something important like meeting your conversation partner. It's an experience that you can't get back, even if missing lectures might not make that much difference at your stage of study. It also won't look good for you if they find out you knew this was happening, but you still chose to go on holiday anyway. With NHS courses, study and placement commitments must come first (I assume they made you aware of this while you were applying).

By asking your personal advisor, you'll have to accept that if they say no, you can't go. If you go anyway, they won't look on that favourably.

ReputationRep:
    They do check attendance by other means. I’d be upfront and tell them your situation then they know and you’ll know too.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.