Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applied for 6 jobs in the past month, still no luck...need HELP and ADVICE Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for a few jobs over this past month, in the retail sector and have had no luck in terms of gaining the chance to have an interview with these retail companies. Just recently I applied for Tesco but this was for a customer assistant position, not a festive colleague which apparently is 'easier' to get. So I am thinking about re-applying but for the festive colleague position as although it is a temp job, most of my friends were kept on after their temp jobs with their retail companies.

To put it Frank I don't have any experience with retail and sales as such, I went to college for 3 years to study in a sector totally different, as in my gained skills from my college work placements weren't related to sales or retail in anyway. However I did voluntary work in a pet store and although I never worked on tills I gained a lot of customer relation skills. So having said that when it comes to handing in my CV would I be better off just keeping the one work placement that relates to customer service in some way e.g. Pet store, and removing the rest of my work placements that have nothing to do with any of that line of work. Obviously I will keep my college education on my CV so it shows I haven't just been doing nothing for 3 years. However on the tesco application should I only put my secondary education on their or both secondary and college education?

Also how can I make my cover letter more appealing to a retail company and catch their eye? Any advice on my situation would be much appreciated from either current retail workers, past retail temp workers and anyone that has wrote many cover letters lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musicgirl97)
    I've applied for a few jobs over this past month, in the retail sector and have had no luck in terms of gaining the chance to have an interview with these retail companies. Just recently I applied for Tesco but this was for a customer assistant position, not a festive colleague which apparently is 'easier' to get. So I am thinking about re-applying but for the festive colleague position as although it is a temp job, most of my friends were kept on after their temp jobs with their retail companies.

To put it Frank I don't have any experience with retail and sales as such, I went to college for 3 years to study in a sector totally different, as in my gained skills from my college work placements weren't related to sales or retail in anyway. However I did voluntary work in a pet store and although I never worked on tills I gained a lot of customer relation skills. So having said that when it comes to handing in my CV would I be better off just keeping the one work placement that relates to customer service in some way e.g. Pet store, and removing the rest of my work placements that have nothing to do with any of that line of work. Obviously I will keep my college education on my CV so it shows I haven't just been doing nothing for 3 years. However on the tesco application should I only put my secondary education on their or both secondary and college education?

Also how can I make my cover letter more appealing to a retail company and catch their eye? Any advice on my situation would be much appreciated from either current retail workers, past retail temp workers and anyone that has wrote many cover letters lol
    6 jobs in a whole MONTH isn't realistically enough in this climate. When I was in your position I applied for about 100+ a month every day so often and got a few replies.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So while the above is perhaps slightly hyperbolic, you should probably be aiming to apply to 4-6 a week, rather than a month. Unfortunately due to the current economic climate and the state of the job market, it probably will take a little while.

Contact centre work tends to accept virtually anyone, but is pretty terrible. You can often find aspects of your otherwise seemingly unrelated work which is applicable to the skills necessary - if you had to present and defend an argument, for example is relevant to sales (less on the defence and more on pushing that point/sale through), doing one part of a group project, where the work is considered as a whole but you are expected to do your bit by yourself, is relevant to many roles where you're working in a team/group but are expected to function independently without direct supervision. Other experiences from your personal life can similarly be relevant - it's all a case of spinning it right.

Major corporate retail roles I've found to be more difficult to get a position as - due to how they implement their assessment and screening processes, the system auto-bins any application which doesn't respond in specific ways to their questionnaires or that doesn't have specific things in the CV. I have no idea what the correct answers are, as the questions are usually pretty nonsensical situations.

ReputationRep:
    I would mention your other placements and work experience as there may be transferrable skills that are applicable to the role you are applying for. I wouldn't be too disheartened, as you haven't been applying for too long. Keep going, if possible, try to get more retail experience. You could volunteer in a charity shop. They will often train you for store displays and till work.

You could also get someone to check over your CV - making sure it read wells and sells your skills the best it can.

What are you currently studying at college?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the advice, you have all given me such good tips and hints. I am going to get a friend to proof read my C.V but I've basically sold myself on there as much as I can, so im just going to keep applying for as many jobs as I can, I forgot to count two other positions i applied for, so I've applied for 8, and I can see how that isn't a lot to some but as mentioned above their isn't a lot of offers in the current employment sector, and its somewhat more down to sheer luck these days to get a job. But thank you very much for the advice! And I was studying in the animal care sector as I have a huge love of animals but there is nothing going on in that sector at the moment. But I have gained a lot of transeferable skills from that diploma now that i think about it.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you're tailoring your CV/ Cover letter for each job you apply for. As the posters above said, aim for 4-5 per week (which gives you more than enough time to make good quality applications).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have updated it and tailored to a customer service/retail jobs but I have kept all of my past work placements on my CV, even the ones that aren't related to retail because like people said above many of the skills can be transferred to that sort of job, plus it's to show how much work experience I have had, which may help. Also if any of you have had retail jobs did you hand in a cover letter also? My friend who has a retail job never handed in a cover letter for her temporary position. So I'm unsure whether it would be better to just hand my CV or my CV and cover letter
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Don't list things just because you hope the reader will infer transferable skills - they won't. If an experience gave you relevant skills then you need to be explicit about that.

You should always write a covering letter with a CV whether asked to or not. The two are twin documents, two parts of a whole application.

ReputationRep:
    Also, have you considered reformatting your CV into Skills CV? You can still put in all your experiences, but with a skills CV you can highlight the main skills, and write how you demonstrated/excelled at these skills in your various roles.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja_R)
    Also, have you considered reformatting your CV into Skills CV? You can still put in all your experiences, but with a skills CV you can highlight the main skills, and write how you demonstrated/excelled at these skills in your various roles.
    Employers rarely prefer this format. It is really only useful when you have 'job hopped' over a number of years for very valid reasons (often a partner who has put a career on hold to follow the other partner's career) and want to hide that movement, or when changing careers where the details and language of the previous career is distracting to your skill set.

A chronological CV still presents the exact same skills, but it is better for the employer to see them in the context of the role/activity in which you gained those skills.

ReputationRep:
    Also another quick question for you guys, how long should a personal statement be on a CV ideally? At the moment mine is under 200 words so a small paragraph and a bit. But I don't know if this is deemed too much?

ReputationRep:
    Also another quick question for you guys, how long should a personal statement be on a CV ideally? At the moment mine is under 200 words so a small paragraph and a bit. But I don't know if this is deemed too much?
    A personal statement shouldn't be too long - small paragraph? Most of the CV should be comprised of your experience and qualifications. You have the covering letter to expand on your CV, as well as the interview should your application be successful.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be there at all. It's a complete waste of space invented by Connexions to make life easier for them. No employer takes any notice. You should start the CV straight off with Education, then Experience and Interests. Why you want the job should come in the covering letter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.