Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’ve been given requirements from all my universities that I want to go to via email. I want to study a Maths BSc from September 2018 and I’m doing A-levels in maths, physics and a national BTEC diDiploma Diploma (2 grades) in Engineering. The unis have given me specific offers which are all mainly a D*D and an A in maths but they’ve not taken physics into consideration? I have a few questions if anyone can answer I’ll be very appreciative:

1. What does this mean I have to do for physics?
    2. Do I have less pressure on physics?
    3. Is physics still important for me?
    4. What do the offers they’ve given me actually mean? (Might be a bit stupid I know)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yeah generally they will make offers based on your 3 top grades, as you have 4 and Engineering is worth 2 and I assume Maths is a prerequisite, that's the only combination you can have an offer for that includes exactly 3 grades, so in theory you Physics doesn't really matter, however it will make your application more competitive

Also, wait until you have the formal offers through from your UCAS application before putting less effort in, once you have that formal conditional offer you're safe

Hope this helps
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by therealjay)
    I’ve been given requirements from all my universities that I want to go to via email. I want to study a Maths BSc from September 2018 and I’m doing A-levels in maths, physics and a national BTEC diDiploma Diploma (2 grades) in Engineering. The unis have given me specific offers which are all mainly a D*D and an A in maths but they’ve not taken physics into consideration? I have a few questions if anyone can answer I’ll be very appreciative:

1. What does this mean I have to do for physics?
    2. Do I have less pressure on physics?
    3. Is physics still important for me?
    4. What do the offers they’ve given me actually mean? (Might be a bit stupid I know)
    1. You dont 'have' to do anything for physics
    2. Yes
    3. Very much so
    4. The offers are essentially the terms of admission. If you acheive this set of grades they'll let you in, if you dont they wont.

The pressure to do well in physics is reduced, but you still need ot work at it. Of course, it will have a lower priority than maths or Enigineering but if you're all caught up and doing well then do some physics. It'll serve you well in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you kind sir, that’s given me a better clarification, if I hypothetically don’t achieve the best grade in physics, it won’t affect my chances for the unis will it because they haven’t given me any requirements for it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by therealjay)
    Thank you kind sir, that’s given me a better clarification, if I hypothetically don’t achieve the best grade in physics, it won’t affect my chances for the unis will it because they haven’t given me any requirements for it?
    You need to take physics, but you don't need to do well in it. As long as you get D*D in your BTEC and an A in maths, you'll get a place. However, if you fail to get the required grades, unis can decide to take some people anyway - and when deciding, your physics grade will be relevant. If you got a B in maths but an A in physics, unis may be lenient and accept you anyway. They're less likely to if you miss the offer and do terribly in physics.

You also need to think about what you want to do in future. Some jobs will require certain A Levels, or a certain amount of UCAS points. You may need physics for your career, even if you don't need it for uni.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.