Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Funding for mature students (turn 24 during course) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I understand that you can apply for a student loan as long as you are under the age of 24 and it is your first degree level course.

If I started a course in September 2018 at the age of 23 and turned 24 in December, would this then class me as a mature student meaning for the subsequent years I would have to take out a different funding option?

For example:

3-Year Degree:
    Year 1: Student loan
    Year 2: Advanced leaner loan
    Year 3: Advanced learner loan

Would appreciate your help,
    Thank you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Pig)
    Hi,

I understand that you can apply for a student loan as long as you are under the age of 24 and it is your first degree level course.

If I started a course in September 2018 at the age of 23 and turned 24 in December, would this then class me as a mature student meaning for the subsequent years I would have to take out a different funding option?

For example:

3-Year Degree:

Thank you.
    Your funding options would be the same. But if you're 25 by the start of the academic year, it'll go on your income and not your parents income.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

For example:

3-Year Degree:

Thank you.
    There's no different funding for mature students. You get the same student loan at any age (well, there is an upper age limit of about 70 but you're nowhere near that).

The advanced learner loan is for students doing a level 3 course (equivalent to A Levels). You're also looking at out of date information as it's now available to 19+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Your funding options would be the same. But if you're 25 by the start of the academic year, it'll go on your income and not your parents income.
    Thank you.

(Original post by Juno)
    There's no different funding for mature students. You get the same student loan at any age (well, there is an upper age limit of about 70 but you're nowhere near that).

The advanced learner loan is for students doing a level 3 course (equivalent to A Levels). You're also looking at out of date information as it's now available to 19+.
    So this essentially means anybody up to the age limit of 70 can get the same funding / repayment terms as an 18 year old for a BA hons degree?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

So this essentially means anybody up to the age limit of 70 can get the same funding / repayment terms as an 18 year old for a BA hons degree?
    Yes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

Yes.

The only difference is that if you are over 25, you submit your own income for the income assessment. Under 25, you submit your parental income unless you can prove you're self-supporting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Yes
    (Original post by Juno)
    Yes.

The only difference is that if you are over 25, you submit your own income for the income assessment. Under 25, you submit your parental income unless you can prove you're self-supporting

Thanks for the useful information, cleared up a lot of me
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

For example:

3-Year Degree:

Would appreciate your hel
    Thank you.

Hi Flying Pig,

Let me ask you a few questions to help you better,

first of all are you applying as a UK national ?

Have you had any previous study or hold any qualifications?

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi Flying Pig,

Let me ask you a few questions to help you better,

first of all are you applying as a UK national ?

Have you had any previous study or hold any qualifications?

Thanks Rona
    I am a UK national.

I hold 3 A Levels and a Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    I am a UK national.

I hold 3 A Levels and a Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma

Hi Flying Pig,

You can be confident as long as you meet the following residency requirements:

UK National
    • Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and
    • be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

you will be entitled to full support. If you are under 25 we would use the household income of your parents.

You can be assessed as an independent student if you :
    • are 25 or over before the start of the academic year
    • are under 25 and married/divorced
    • have care of a child
    • are married or in a civil partnership
    • have no living parents
    • are irreconcilably estranged from their parents
    • have been the subject of a care order
    • cannot find their parents or it's not reasonably practical to get in touch with them

A student can also be considered independent if they supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of study.

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.