Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in Year 11 and I am looking at my options. I would love to do biology and law as A Levels in college, but I'm also an aspiring actress and would love to take ia BTEC in Performing Arts. I've heard so many negative things about BTECs that I'm not sure if choosing it is the right thing to do. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    assuming the BTEC is equivalent to an A level, then you should be fine doing whatever you want to do. The reason BTECs get a bad name is because it is usually more coursework or practical than exam and BTECs are comparatively young.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by exopolitics)
    So I'm in Year 11 and I am looking at my options. I would love to do biology and law as A Levels in college, but I'm also an aspiring actress and would love to take ia BTEC in Performing Arts. I've heard so many negative things about BTECs that I'm not sure if choosing it is the right thing to do. Any advice?
    BTEC are fine in more than 90% of the tie especially as you have two solid A levels They are considered less academically challenging by a few unis.

Performing arts is going to be more creative and less academic, so it will be viewed as a bit soft depending upon which degree youd like to do.Its not clear what degree that is and you should always check a unis entrance requirements to make sure you meet the criteria with what you choose to do.

I note that its quite a range you have and its not clear if you intend to follow your performing arts at degree level? is it music or drama? If its drama, then maybe take English as well? That way if you change your mind, then you can drop the btec and go with three strong A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    BTEC are fine in more than 90% of the tie especially as you have two solid A levels They are considered less academically challenging by a few unis.

Performing arts is going to be more creative and less academic, so it will be viewed as a bit soft depending upon which degree youd like to do.Its not clear what degree that is and you should always check a unis entrance requirements to make sure you meet the criteria with what you choose to do.

I note that its quite a range you have and its not clear if you intend to follow your performing arts at degree level? is it music or drama? If its drama, then maybe take English as well? That way if you change your mind, then you can drop the btec and go with three strong A levels.
    Yes, I want to do drama as a profession but as its such a hard industry to get into, I want to keep the other stuff I'm good at as options as well. I would love to do English but I think most colleges only let you do 3 A-Levels or equivalents now, which is incredibly annoying.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by exopolitics)
    Yes, I want to do drama as a profession but as its such a hard industry to get into, I want to keep the other stuff I'm good at as options as well. I would love to do English but I think most colleges only let you do 3 A-Levels or equivalents now, which is incredibly annoying.
    I suggest you do more research in what actors do for fallback careers and also whats required for a drama course. Your choices seem to be going in three directions..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.