Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I have a bit of an issue regarding my personal statement. I've sent off my application but I know for a fact it hasn't yet been sent (and won't be) until the middle of next week.

So, in part of my PS, I talk about being fluent in four languages. For the past month it seemed quite accurate to me, and my supervisor didn't really think I was wrong about it either. However, today, two days after I sent off my application (yeah...) I started to doubt this statement

To be clear, I am fully fluent in three languages (I'm a non-native speaker btw., so including English), and I am quite good in the fourth language (French). But the level of my proficiency in that language isn't as good as my other three. Yes, I understand quite a lot and can have conversations on the casual topics, but I cannot discuss more abstract topics like in the three other languages I speak.
    Now, during an interview, I know I can be asked about the languages I speak. When it comes up, I do not want to seem like a liar if the interviewer decides to speak French with me all of the sudden for the rest of the interview (which I wouldn't mind for the most part, but it's the more complex topics that I am afraid of).

Should I therefore ask to have my application back and change that part to something like "being multilingual"? Or am I just overthinking all of it?

Thank you for your help.

ReputationRep:
    They're not going to start speaking French to you in an interview. I don't think it's going to be a big issue, but obviously if you want to correct it and can do so without too much hassle, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    It's unlikely the interviewer would start speaking French, and if they do it would probably only be a simple phrase. I wouldn't bother asking for it back, as it is unlikely the interviewer will be fluent in French (unless, your applying to somsewhere in France?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    They're not going to start speaking French to you in an interview. I don't think it's going to be a big issue, but obviously if you want to correct it and can do so without too much hassle, go for it.
    That's reassuring! I tend to overthink stuff, and therefore decided to ask on here before jumping to conclusions too soon. I will ask my referee about it on Monday and see whether it's worth changing. Appreciate the help!

(Original post by LightTheWorld)
    It's unlikely the interviewer would start speaking French, and if they do it would probably only be a simple phrase. I wouldn't bother asking for it back, as it is unlikely the interviewer will be fluent in French (unless, your applying to somsewhere in France?).
    I am not applying to any country where French is spoken as one of the official languages, and this PS is for my UK application only Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesperateMedic)
    Hello everyone,

I have a bit of an issue regarding my personal statement. I've sent off my application but I know for a fact it hasn't yet been sent (and won't be) until the middle of next week.

So, in part of my PS, I talk about being fluent in four languages. For the past month it seemed quite accurate to me, and my supervisor didn't really think I was wrong about it either. However, today, two days after I sent off my application (yeah...) I started to doubt this statement

To be clear, I am fully fluent in three languages (I'm a non-native speaker btw., so including English), and I am quite good in the fourth language (French). But the level of my proficiency in that language isn't as good as my other three. Yes, I understand quite a lot and can have conversations on the casual topics, but I cannot discuss more abstract topics like in the three other languages I speak.
    Now, during an interview, I know I can be asked about the languages I speak. When it comes up, I do not want to seem like a liar if the interviewer decides to speak French with me all of the sudden for the rest of the interview (which I wouldn't mind for the most part, but it's the more complex topics that I am afraid of).

Should I therefore ask to have my application back and change that part to something like "being multilingual"? Or am I just overthinking all of it?

Thank you for your help.
    I am like you, I speak few languages as well but im not fluent in all of them. I wrote something along the lines of 'I can speak 5 different languages, which was already helpful in my work experience when patient only spoke Spanish. I think this makes me a perfect fit for UK and its multicultural population'.

They won't speak to you in French or any other language (its UK, do you really think people can speak in any other language, especially if they are doing medicine?), but I think saying youre multilingual sounds much nicer than listing the languages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    I am like you, I speak few languages as well but im not fluent in all of them. I wrote something along the lines of 'I can speak 5 different languages, which was already helpful in my work experience when patient only spoke Spanish. I think this makes me a perfect fit for UK and its multicultural population'.

They won't speak to you in French or any other language (its UK, do you really think people can speak in any other language, especially if they are doing medicine?), but I think saying youre multilingual sounds much nicer than listing the languages
    I have something rather similar in terms of linking it back to the diversity present in the UK. I didn't state the languages I speak, but just the number. It's my fault for not thinking of the "multilingual" idea earlier, so I will try and get my PS back. Hopefully, if I'm not able to get it back, it won't be an issue. I definitely don't want to come across as cocky :/

Ps. I really thought most doctors in the UK speak 2 languages or more. Then again, I'm not from the UK and had little exposure to the UK doctors, just the general NHS, its structure, and the issues that doctors have recently faced. My bad!

ReputationRep:
    I have something rather similar in terms of linking it back to the diversity present in the UK. I didn't state the languages I speak, but just the number. It's my fault for not thinking of the "multilingual" idea earlier, so I will try and get my PS back. Hopefully, if I'm not able to get it back, it won't be an issue. I definitely don't want to come across as cocky :/

Ps. I really thought most doctors in the UK speak 2 languages or more. Then again, I'm not from the UK and had little exposure to the UK doctors, just the general NHS, its structure, and the issues that doctors have recently faced. My bad!
    Brits are notoriously bad at languages, and amongst white Brits it is unusual to be fluent in more than one language - it's probably slightly more common in ethnic minorities (who are proportionally slightly over-represented amongst UK doctors) because they may still use another language at home. Of course, the NHS does have a large number of doctors from other countries, particularly the Indian subcontinent, who will most likely be multilingual, but amongst UK natives it's pretty rare.

I speak passable French and German - enough to ask directions or order a meal, but not enough to have a medical consultation. This is more normal, I think.

ReputationRep:
    deffo over-thinking it! dont worry

ReputationRep:

Hahaha, they really dont im afraid. If you speak one of the 'niche' languages (such as Polish, Romanian, Urdu, Bengali etc) all doctors will love you as quite a lot of international patients don't speak English either. During my GP placement 2/3 of all consultations were with people who didn't speak English. In that time there was only 1 Portuguese woman and the rest were Urdu and Polish speakers.

Native British doctors generally don't speak any language or they can say their name and age in it and that's about it. Sometimes the GEM students speak other languages due to their previous degree, but the knowledge of French and Spanish isn't really that useful if you want to practice medicine in UK (great for electives though!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    Hahaha, they really dont im afraid. If you speak one of the 'niche' languages (such as Polish, Romanian, Urdu, Bengali etc) all doctors will love you as quite a lot of international patients don't speak English either. During my GP placement 2/3 of all consultations were with people who didn't speak English. In that time there was only 1 Portuguese woman and the rest were Urdu and Polish speakers.

Native British doctors generally don't speak any language or they can say their name and age in it and that's about it. Sometimes the GEM students speak other languages due to their previous degree, but the knowledge of French and Spanish isn't really that useful if you want to practice medicine in UK (great for electives though!).
    Huh, the more you know!
    I'm fluent in Polish and German so glad to hear at least one of them (except for English :P) will be useful in the future.

Guess I really overthought this entire sentence in my PS, but I'll still contact my supervisor about it. Thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    Huh, the more you know!
    I'm fluent in Polish and German so glad to hear at least one of them (except for English :P) will be useful in the future.

Guess I really overthought this entire sentence in my PS, but I'll still contact my supervisor about it. Thank you again!
    yep, get ready for these translations

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.