Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to study adult nursing in university and I’m having trouble finding work experience at care homes since they aren’t looking for volunteers. I had rang up to ask to do some volunteering ya one this morning and they said they weren’t looking for any. I also just sent an email/enquiry to another carehome but I’m afraid they might not even reply and I don’t want to waste time waiting. I was wondering if working at a charity shop that supports something medical would count as relatable work experience such as the British heart foundation or if there are any other ones please tell me. In addition to this a family member of mine, his girlfriend is an adult nurse and I want to ask if I t was possible to shadow her but how do I ask, it’s sort of awkward and I feel like I would be troubling her. How can I ask her?

Any help would be awesome and I would be very grateful thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Just keep trying them - is it actual work experience or volunteering you're looking for? Work experience would probably be quite different to volunteering at a care home. Just keep emailing care homes, say you're looking for a week or two of work experience etc. Don't give up with it. Might be useful volunteering alongside that at a charity shop as well, that always looks good. And as for speaking to the family member, just ask if you could speak to them about what experience they got, how they got into the job, and then ask if you could spend the day shadowing their job for a bit - I'm sure they'd be happy you're interested in what they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RallySPORT)
    Just keep trying them - is it actual work experience or volunteering you're looking for? Work experience would probably be quite different to volunteering at a care home. Just keep emailing care homes, say you're looking for a week or two of work experience etc. Don't give up with it. Might be useful volunteering alongside that at a charity shop as well, that always looks good. And as for speaking to the family member, just ask if you could speak to them about what experience they got, how they got into the job, and then ask if you could spend the day shadowing their job for a bit - I'm sure they'd be happy you're interested in what they do.

Okay I shall try the only thing that’s worries me the most is that we have to send off ucas applications soon so I’m. Just really stressed. Actually I think I’m looking to volunteer not work experience it’s just quite confusing sometimes. The thing is I asked my family member and he said that she did not do any work experience whatsoever and if I did ask if I could shadow them would they’d not have to ask the higher ups or I said it actually okay to just ask her.

Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayeen)
    Okay I shall try the only thing that’s worries me the most is that we have to send off ucas applications soon so I’m. Just really stressed. Actually I think I’m looking to volunteer not work experience it’s just quite confusing sometimes. The thing is I asked my family member and he said that she did not do any work experience whatsoever and if I did ask if I could shadow them would they’d not have to ask the higher ups or I said it actually okay to just ask her.

Thank you for your help
    No problem. Would it be possible to see if any home-visit care companies would give you work experience? I know it's not the same but it would be sort of related. If you're looking for stuff to put down on UCAS, volunteering in a charity shop etc looks good, you could start with that before sending it off and put that down. And the family member would probably need to ask their manager/HR or something for permission to let you shadow first.

ReputationRep:
    Have you contacted your local hospital trust to see if you can get any work experience/shadowing?

Like previous poster suggested, see if any home care agencies will let you shadow.

Other options to look at could be volunteering at a special school, or an age UK day centre.

Not meaning to be blunt but you're cutting it a bit fine with getting your experience for UCAS if it's on soon like you said. But it's doable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.