Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In June, I reluctantly sent my original birth certificate to obtain finance for my course. I needed it back to apply for a passport so contacted them in September only to discover:- They send original documents back standard untracked untraceable Royal Mail post...... Why?; They sent it out in July so now it's past 90 days I've no way of claiming compensation through Royal Mail; I'm now vulnerable to identity fraud. This policy needs to change. Why would a government linked company be so irresponsible and demonstrate a negligence in duty of care of their citizens identities? What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Its definitely crazy that they dont track them. As well as that you now need to pay for another and wait for it to arrive.
    However, you're certainly over-reacting. For almost everything, a birth certificate on its own is not proof of identity.

ReputationRep:
    If you order a new certified copy from GRO they send it by normal post (cert costs £10 ish) takes about a week . I needed to send certs for some pension matters so got certified copies this way from GRO.

Helps if you have the GRO reference - DM if you want some help finding it.

Possession of a birth cert if not evidence of identity - you need a lot more, I think my kids just put their passport numbers in ?? would that be correct, pretty sure we didn't have to send anything then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTCesca)
    In June, I reluctantly sent my original birth certificate to obtain finance for my course. I needed it back to apply for a passport so contacted them in September only to discover:- They send original documents back standard untracked untraceable Royal Mail post...... Why?; They sent it out in July so now it's past 90 days I've no way of claiming compensation through Royal Mail; I'm now vulnerable to identity fraud. This policy needs to change. Why would a government linked company be so irresponsible and demonstrate a negligence in duty of care of their citizens identities? What do you think?
    (Original post by GamingAnonymous)
    Its definitely crazy that they dont track them. As well as that you now need to pay for another and wait for it to arrive.
    However, you're certainly over-reacting. For almost everything, a birth certificate on its own is not proof of identity.
    (Original post by LadyBunion)
    If you order a new certified copy from GRO they send it by normal post (cert costs £10 ish) takes about a week . I needed to send certs for some pension matters so got certified copies this way from GRO.

Helps if you have the GRO reference - DM if you want some help finding it.

Possession of a birth cert if not evidence of identity - you need a lot more, I think my kids just put their passport numbers in ?? would that be correct, pretty sure we didn't have to send anything then.
    Why don’t people just pay for the postage for Student Finance to send it back tracked and traced? You can do this at any post office; buying return postage is incredibly easy. It’s your own fault if you send important documents and don’t want to pay for a secure postage method to get them back. Student Finance is a business, obviously it’s going to want to minimise its costs by sending back documents the cheapest it possibly can if you haven’t paid for the return postage yourself. If you cared that much about possible identity fraud then you should have paid the extra money.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.