Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How good are teachers at predicting grades? Watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Turns out they're not very good at getting them exactly right but that's no surprise.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...worry-about-it

What are your views?

- is there too much emphasis on predicted grades?
    - are teachers too generous with some students?
    - should uni applications be post-results?
    - what problems would this create?

ReputationRep:
    The use of predicted grades is a very strange system; it can prevent people from applying to courses they want to do, or make us believe we're over-achieving.
    I know some other countries give your grades first, before you apply to uni. This way, you know which courses you can and can't apply for and makes selection process a lot easier I presume, since we've already got the qualification and reduces uncertainty. I also suppose it's fairer to get rid of predictions because some schools may be happy to predict you two grades over and others may have a strict policy of no over-predictions.
    On the other hand, this means that we'll have almost a year before we finish our A-levels and the start of university, since the application process is so long. In the case of people from other countries applying for UK unis where the terms don't match up, they spend that year doing some sort of work experience, or a temporary job in preparation for independence, which could prepare us better for university. Although this is a good idea, it may not be favourable for courses that require you to keep hold of A-level knowledge in order to progress to the university course, as it is likely that the academic habit may be lost during that compulsory gap year.

Despite the idea behind predicted grades being quite unusual, in most cases it works. Creating and implanting a new system that would satisfy a direct transition from A-levels to University without the use of predictions would be a rather complex job, unless the term for the first year in university were started later, or there's a compulsory preliminary year before uni. Therefore, albeit imperfect, I think the prediction system is here to stay.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a grammar school where over 98% of students every year go to uni, and usually on or above the grades that they've been predicted. In that regard, I'd say that my teachers are doing a good job with predicted grades but I do agree with Sophia_WCH14 with regards to some aspects. I wouldn't agree with grades being given post-results because, in a way, predicted grades can act as motivation which wouldn't necessarily be the case with post-results applications.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    My teachers were pretty good, they took into account my progress throughout the entire year, so not just the big end of year mock (which I did badly in lol). Post-results applications are definitely a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    When working with lower sets I can be pretty confident in predicting in who will get a C (4) and who wont. I think it's a lot harder now the with 7-9 having such slim margins.

ReputationRep:
    It should be compulsory for every student to take AS levels and a higher A* boundary should be introduced, these should then be given to unis to decide rather than predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Learn Ranger)
    Turns out they're not very good at getting them exactly right but that's no surprise.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...worry-about-it

What are your views?

- is there too much emphasis on predicted grades?
    - are teachers too generous with some students?
    - should uni applications be post-results?
    - what problems would this create?
    It's not a surprise when you read the 'pressure' some teachers are put under to put grades up. My school is very accurate - we used to use AS grades with some minor adjustments.
    However often on here people post they have been given crazy predictions AS grades CCC with predictions AAA - parents sometimes getting involved too.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's an absolutely stupid system, it should be entirely fact based without any predictions.

It would also save a lot of wasted time making offers to students that don't make the grade whilst others lose out because they were predicted lower grades.

I can't think of anything worse than not getting into your university of choice because of your predicted grades and working your butt off and then having the A level results that were required for entry!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.