Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really struggling with what a levels I want to do.I'm thinking of studying medicine at university but don't know which a levels will ensure the best chances.I'm currently doing biology and chemistry, music and psychology.I want to do art instead of psychology because I find it far more enjoyable and have a good chance at an A in it.Do you think medical schools would most value a high grade in art or an average grade in psychology?would an a level in psychology be more usefull despite the fact that I'm not particularly enjoying it?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely continue with biology and chemistry. If you think you will do better in it, take art (however, the workload for art is immense meaning you might struggle, even if you have a natural ability). I would recommend taking a third science, such as maths or physics, which would make your application more competitive. However, if you don't want to do that or feel you are weaker in that area, take the subjects you feel you will get the highest grades in.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If a medical school accepts Psychology, it will almost certainly accept Art. Normally they expect either a third STEM subject, or have no specific requirements or preferences. In the latter case, Art is acceptable. In the former, Art of course would not be, however normally Psychology is not considered a STEM subject for such purposes either. Overall getting an A in the subject provided you're taking the "core" subject(s) of Chemistry (and/or Biology, as applicable) and having a general scientific background (which is usually demonstrated by taking at least 2 STEM A-levels).

However don't take Art because you think it's a "soft" option and an easy A - since, beyond the poor approach to academic learning this suggests which may make you struggle with an intensive course like medicine, A-level Art is definitely not a low workload option and in fact may be more challenging than a similar STEM subject in getting a top grade in due to the more subjective nature of the area.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Since you're already doing Biology and Chemistry- that's good! Two of the major subjects required for Medicine already! Have you considered Maths though? It can in some cases give you a leg up especially if you apply at a competitive University.

Examples: http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/und...uirements.html

https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...o-be-a-doctor/ (Very useful- check this one out!)

However, Bio and Chem are the main requirements, so that's definitely good.

In regards to Psych or Art, I suggest having a high grade Art A-Level would make your application look stronger rather than an average Psychology A-Level. Besides, A-Levels are much more demanding than GCSEs (as you've probably heard) and it's rather worthless to carry on with a subject for 2 more years especially if you're not enjoying it!

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Do maths
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    Definitely continue with biology and chemistry. If you think you will do better in it, take art (however, the workload for art is immense meaning you might struggle, even if you have a natural ability). I would recommend taking a third science, such as maths or physics, which would make your application more competitive. However, if you don't want to do that or feel you are weaker in that area, take the subjects you feel you will get the highest grades in.
    thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    If a medical school accepts Psychology, it will almost certainly accept Art. Normally they expect either a third STEM subject, or have no specific requirements or preferences. In the latter case, Art is acceptable. In the former, Art of course would not be, however normally Psychology is not considered a STEM subject for such purposes either. Overall getting an A in the subject provided you're taking the "core" subject(s) of Chemistry (and/or Biology, as applicable) and having a general scientific background (which is usually demonstrated by taking at least 2 STEM A-levels).

However don't take Art because you think it's a "soft" option and an easy A - since, beyond the poor approach to academic learning this suggests which may make you struggle with an intensive course like medicine, A-level Art is definitely not a low workload option and in fact may be more challenging than a similar STEM subject in getting a top grade in due to the more subjective nature of the area.
    thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blurryyface)
    Hey! Since you're already doing Biology and Chemistry- that's good! Two of the major subjects required for Medicine already! Have you considered Maths though? It can in some cases give you a leg up especially if you apply at a competitive University.

Examples: http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/und...uirements.html

https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...o-be-a-doctor/ (Very useful- check this one out!)

However, Bio and Chem are the main requirements, so that's definitely good.

In regards to Psych or Art, I suggest having a high grade Art A-Level would make your application look stronger rather than an average Psychology A-Level. Besides, A-Levels are much more demanding than GCSEs (as you've probably heard) and it's rather worthless to carry on with a subject for 2 more years especially if you're

not enjoying it!

I hope this helps.
    thank your so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Biology and Chemistry are of course the most useful. As others have said, psychology and art are probably seen at around the same level- so do the one you enjoy the most.

Another science would create the strongest application!! That includes maths, and so Biology, Chemistry and Maths are often seen as the three strongest subjects to take for a medicine degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econflower)
    Biology and Chemistry are of course the most useful. As others have said, psychology and art are probably seen at around the same level- so do the one you enjoy the most.

Another science would create the strongest application!! That includes maths, and so Biology, Chemistry and Maths are often seen as the three strongest subjects to take for a medicine degree.
    Thank you for your advice, I'm leaning towards doing art, I'll hopefully still be able to do medicine with a levels in art, biology, chemistry and music.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.