Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

So Philosophy is currently one of my A-Level subjects. I started Sixth Form and A level about 7 weeks ago and got my first graded 12 mark Essay Question back today and was horrified at receiving a 5/12!

Would really appreciate some advice on improvement and structuring Philosophy Essays in general? How did you manage to do well in this subject etc also helps
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blurryyface)
    Hey!

So Philosophy is currently one of my A-Level subjects. I started Sixth Form and A level about 7 weeks ago and got my first graded 12 mark Essay Question back today and was horrified at receiving a 5/12!

Would really appreciate some advice on improvement and structuring Philosophy Essays in general? How did you manage to do well in this subject etc also helps
    Firstly, it is your first essay, so don't stress out too much - you have plenty of time!

If you haven't done so already, do go and talk to your teacher about the essay and ask where you went wrong specifically. If you've been set any targets, try to stick to them too.

I've attached the mark scheme for AQA philosophy 12-mark questions. Can you see where you might not have done what it asks for?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonechka)
    Firstly, it is your first essay, so don't stress out too much - you have plenty of time!

If you haven't done so already, do go and talk to your teacher about the essay and ask where you went wrong specifically. If you've been set any targets, try to stick to them too.

I've attached the mark scheme for AQA philosophy 12-mark questions. Can you see where you might not have done what it asks for?
    Ah thank you so much! The MS does help put thinks into perspective since I needed to integrate more philosophical vocabulary in my essay and my teacher said that my essay was too short apparently and could have done with more explanations and quotes from philosophers.

Anyway, I really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blurryyface)
    Hey!

I didn't do aqa philosophy so im not sure what it is exactly you studied but i did Pre U philosophy which was hard af. Tbh you'll be looking at probably 7-9/12 on most essays remember and don't get disheartened by it because philosophy isn't like other subjects there's is no set answer which will give you 100% all the time besides 100% is like Godly level stuff .

Follow a rough outline

Thesis-be sure to make one so that's it's easy to argue it.

So then after you make your thesis make you're first point and make sure it's related to your thesis. Once you've made your first point, use some examples from philosophers to back up this example, then at the end of this paragraph show basically that you've backed up your thesis with the point you just made kinda liek a mini conclusion.

Then make another paragraph with a good point and again back it up with examples then mini conclusion.

Next paragraph should be the other side and what they say. (ler's say the existence of God) If they say that the cosmological argument is an argument for the existence of God and they quote like Aquinas then explain their argument then poke a hole in it and show that it has holes. In other words find a criticism of their criticism.

Then lastly your conclusion, pick the strongest of your points and any other supporting points that you like and say how this proves your thesis. You can include your ctriticism of the other side. No new info should be included in this conclusion

Just ask if you need anymore help

ReputationRep:
    Hi there !! I've just left school after doing A-level AQA phil - if you let me know the question I can help. (I had to retake AS so the content is fairly fresh :P )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.