The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Medieval/old texts in English lit

Hey, I am thinking of applying for Eng BA and I was wondering if old texts is something that I'll be studying throughout? I just hat that sector of literature and enjoy contemporary, modern texts
Reply 1
Can't speak for English but I know the WHM scheme (module outside your main discipline) offers a module on Old English.

Old English:
"This module offers the opportunity to begin the study of literature written in Old English, the variety of English used in the British Isles by Anglo-Saxons until 1066. Students read a selection of texts in the original language and investigate their literary, cultural, historical and artistic contexts. In semester one, students read 'Cynewulf and Cyneheard' and the Old English translation of Bede's 'Account of the Poet Caedmon'. In semester two, students read 'The Dream of the Rood' and 'The Rune Poem'. Reading skills are taught in the seminars and are supported by a variety of resources."
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by sjt13
Can't speak for English but I know the WHM scheme (module outside your main discipline) offers a module on Old English.

Old English:
"This module offers the opportunity to begin the study of literature written in Old English, the variety of English used in the British Isles by Anglo-Saxons until 1066. Students read a selection of texts in the original language and investigate their literary, cultural, historical and artistic contexts. In semester one, students read 'Cynewulf and Cyneheard' and the Old English translation of Bede's 'Account of the Poet Caedmon'. In semester two, students read 'The Dream of the Rood' and 'The Rune Poem'. Reading skills are taught in the seminars and are supported by a variety of resources."

I think English BA requires a widening horizon course but do you just pick one?
Sorry I'm clueless
Reply 3
Original post by itsaaliyaa
I think English BA requires a widening horizon course but do you just pick one?
Sorry I'm clueless

I'm fairly certain it does yeah. All the arts (non-joint honours e.g. english-history combined) subjects require you to do a WHM. The only thing is you can't do one from your department so a history student couldn't do the history WHM, for example.

There's a list of all the WHMs for this year online and then during freshers' week you go to 'the fair' for WHMs and can ask all the questions you like to the lecturers that are doing them. Then you sign up to them on the online portal.
Reply 4
Oxford may still require everyone to start with Old English-- Beowulf, I think. There's a fair bit of Middle English worth digesting, too-- even beyond Chaucer. But I'd be surprised if any department made pre-1400 literature their primary focus for anyone not interested in it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending