Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am most interested in Theoretical, but should I apply for a straight physics degree or Theoretical?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceGeek1878)
    I am most interested in Theoretical, but should I apply for a straight physics degree or Theoretical?
    I've just applied to universities for various physics courses, theoretical physics where it is offered. I'd look at the course structure of where you want to apply to because for some you do the same modules for both until 3rd year and then for theoretical do more maths based modules.

I haven't studied either of these courses, but when looking at them online theoretical courses are more maths based with less experimental work which is the sort of thing that you might prefer.

Overall I think that it varies between different universities, but check the course structure of each to see what the difference actually is between the two.

ReputationRep:
    Do you already have an undergraduate degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Do you already have an undergraduate degree?
    No, sorry I wasn't clear. I meant an integrated 4 years masters course.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter too much. Universities usually let you switch between strands in the first two years. As AHappyStudent said, theoretical physics just has more maths modules in the later stages. If you do straight physics, you can pick these modules anyway if you want.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    The previous commenters on the thread are pretty spot-on with saying that Theoretical will be much more math-intensive in the later years than a straight Physics degree, and in saying that most Unis are presumably quite happy with you switching between the two strands.

If you want to be absolutely sure about your ability to switch, I would recommend emailing the Uni in question where you're torn.

In general, I do usually advise people who have asked me this that Theoretical Physics is quite different at the Uni level from levels below it. If you're truly passionate about it though, and are willing to work extremely hard, go for it! Be aware that employers may be a bit intimated in future by the title compared to just Physics--so be sure to emphasize learning skills like programming whilst on the course, and do a few summer placements if possible!

If you have any further questions about what it's like to study physics, do let me know!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.