Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't see a thread for this already so thought I'd start one. Is anybody else thinking of applying to the NGDP this year? Applications open in a couple of days

I'm applying for Civil Service Fast Stream which is my first choice, but given how competitive it is I know I need some back-ups, and this seems like the closest thing.

Haven't applied before (just started last year of uni) but the application process looks fairly similar to Civil Service, with a similar focus on competencies.

So yeah, anybody else in the same position?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Yes I'm in a very similar position, fast stream first choice but applying to this as well, didn't know it existed before this year tbh! I don't know what to expect but I'll give it my best shot

Are you applying to any other schemes? I'm continually looking for others that would interest me as FS is so competitive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meg_26)
    Hi,

Are you applying to any other schemes? I'm continually looking for others that would interest me as FS is so competitive!
    Same here, I know that Fast Stream is too competitive to not have some back-ups but it just seems so much more interesting than anything else I've found.

I applied for Teach First last year but ended up deciding I didn't really want to do it. This year I've so far only applied for Fast Stream, but started an application yesterday for the Policy Adviser HM Treasury scheme which sounds fairly similar but slightly more tilted towards the economics side of things. And then I'll be applying for NGDP once it opens.

Those three are the only ones I've found so far which really interest me, so I think if I don't get any of those I'll try applying directly for some EO civil service roles

ReputationRep:
    I submitted for an EO role yesterday with the serious fraud office that sounded really interesting.

Last year the Department for International Development did a few graduate schemes too but that didn't open until March/April. I failed the initial tests straight away last year but I did the same format yesterday for the EO role and passed straight away so I'm more hopeful this year

ReputationRep:
    Ah nice, good luck! Where did you find out about the position, just the Civil Service website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacktaylor69)
    Ah nice, good luck! Where did you find out about the position, just the Civil Service website?
    Yes, i get daily alerts with civil service jobs, most arent that relevant however

ReputationRep:
    Applications are open from today!

I've just tried registering but can't work out how to log-in properly. I've made an account on the LGA website but when I try to log-in to start the NGDP process it says details not recognised. Anybody else having a similar problem, or am I missing something obvious?

ReputationRep:
    I emailed them yesterday and they said the website has now been updated! I just completed my online tests and logged back in to see the message that I still need to complete the tests 😒 I hope that’s just an error and it just takes time to update the page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovecupcakes)
    I emailed them yesterday and they said the website has now been updated! I just completed my online tests and logged back in to see the message that I still need to complete the tests 😒 I hope that’s just an error and it just takes time to update the page
    Mine says that too despite having completed the tests so hopefully it's just an error on their end!

ReputationRep:
    I think something is wrong with my account as it won't let me submit and also has two incomplete applications on my profile yet this is the first time I've applied??? does anybody else's homepage look like this?!

11/10/2017 11/01/2017 ngdp 2017/18 / ngdp C19 Incomplete Application
    09/10/2017 04/01/2018National Graduate Development Programme - Cohort 20 / 01415 Incomplete Application

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know how the ratio between the amount of places and applicants?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the process of completing my application at the moment. I failed on the video interview last time (2015) but feeling more hopeful this year.

I'm in the same boat as a lot of others - Civil Service is my first choice!!

What puts me off about this scheme is you could end up in a really exciting area of work or you could end up in waste management...

ReputationRep:
    What’s everyone’s application status after completing all the tests? For mine it says “invite to testing” 😕

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovecupcakes)
    What’s everyone’s application status after completing all the tests? For mine it says “invite to testing” 😕
    Mine says that too :s

ReputationRep:
    How many items are people completing in the tests btw? I feel I did AWFUL in the verbal but okayish in numerical. About 20 odd for verbal and 28 odd for numerical. I do feel pretty confident that the answers that I gave were right though but I didn't do that many... :/ now the wait will be killing!

ReputationRep:
    Just done the tests! Let the wait begin! Anyone know how long we'll be waiting?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.