Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Company asking for my bank details before an interview Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got a call yesterday from an office administration job that I applied to and the guy I was speaking to said he wanted to do a full ID check before he sent me another application form to fill out and before I have my interview which he said he scheduled. He asked for my account number, sort code, expiry date (which I gave him) and my 3 digit security code (which i didn't).

When I said I didn't want to give my security code out to someone over the phone without even having an interview yet, he got angry and just said that he does this all the time for employees of different companies (he named Marks and Spencers)

Should I have just given him the details?

I know with the security code you can take money out but can you take money out with the other details I gave him?

Another thing, I don't have ANY experience but he said I'll get £9.50 an hour which just seems way to much for someone without any experience.

Edit: I called the bank and they said that as long as I didn't give my security pin out no one can get money out so it should be fine.

Thanks everyone for your responses

ReputationRep:
    find a new job

him asking for your security number just makes it look very suspect

ReputationRep:
    There was absolutely no need for him to have any of this information for an ID check, which normally is done on either a passport or a driver's licence. You did the right thing saying no re the security code, and I suggest you also notify the company about the information he asked for so that it can follow up (it sounds like he is external not internal).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_Shamsa)
    I got a call yesterday from an office administration job that I applied to and the guy I was speaking to said he wanted to do a full ID check before he sent me another application form to fill out and before I have my interview which he said he scheduled. He asked for my account number, sort code, expiry date (which I gave him) and my 3 digit security code (which i didn't).

When I said I didn't want to give my security code out to someone over the phone without even having an interview yet, he got angry and just said that he does this all the time for employees of different companies (he named Marks and Spencers)

I know with the security code you can take money out but can you take money out with the other details I gave him?

Another thing, I don't have ANY experience but he said I'll get £9.50 an hour which just seems way to much for someone without any experience.
    Employers only need your account number and sort code, which is fine to give out (someone will come along in a minute and quote Jeremy Clarkson, but that was a direct debit and so was covered for a refund under the Direct Debit Guarantee - JC only let the money be taken because he wanted it to).

The other details are looking dodgy. If you gave out your long card number (16 digits) then contact your bank and cancel the card. It's unlikely money can be taken without the CVV number, but it's still possible.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely sounds dodgy, there'd be no reason for him to need your security code or to get angry with you when you rightly refused

ReputationRep:

Report this to the Police and your bank. This is a fraud attempt. They would only need your account number and sort code to put money into your account. The only need your debit card details (expiry date and security code) to take money OUT.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Edit: I called the bank and they said that as long as I didn't give my security pin out no one can get money out so it should be fine.

Thanks everyone for your responses
    Report it to the police - the job isn't real.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.