Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I have to decide by Wednesday which unis I am selecting for my UCAS and I am having a hard time deciding between St Andrews and Edinburgh. What are the pros and cons of each? And is there one that employers prefer or is more recognised? Thank you!
    (I would like to study History by the way)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mol_ly)
    Hello. I have to decide by Wednesday which unis I am selecting for my UCAS and I am having a hard time deciding between St Andrews and Edinburgh. What are the pros and cons of each? And is there one that employers prefer or is more recognised? Thank you!
    (I would like to study History by the way)
    Hi! I realise this might be too late, but thought I'd share my insight anyway. I had offers from both and ultimately decided to go to Edinburgh.

Both are great universities, I'd say both are also seen equally by employers (because they are Russel Group universities). Edinburgh is a city, whereas St Andrews is a tiny tiny town. Naturally, Edinburgh is easier to travel to and there are a lot more things to do. However, I have a feeling living in St Andrews might be slightly cheaper, because it's not a big city (I might be wrong about this). St Andrews uni is also a lot smaller, therefore more personal I guess? Edinburgh uni has something like 17,000 undergrads, and history is a big degree. Ultimately, I think it is best to see for yourself: go visit both towns, even if they don't have an open day anytime soon. I think the universities are very similar in general, although make sure to check out the degree specific differences.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.