Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I have to decide by Wednesday which unis I am selecting for my UCAS and I am having a hard time deciding between St Andrews and Edinburgh. What are the pros and cons of each? And is there one that employers prefer or is more recognised? Thank you!
    (I would like to study History by the way)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1872036

Have you visited them by the way? St Andrews and Edinburgh are very different in terms of the location so let that be a factor in your decision too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multifaceted)
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1872036

Have you visited them by the way? St Andrews and Edinburgh are very different in terms of the location so let that be a factor in your decision too.
    Thank you that's a very helpful thread! And yes, I've visited them and I like them both for different reasons haha

(Original post by Mol_ly)
    Thank you that's a very helpful thread! And yes, I've visited them and I like them both for different reasons haha
    You're welcome. Okay cool so you do have reasons. From those reasons, what do you feel is most important for you personally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multifaceted)
    You're welcome. Okay cool so you do have reasons. From those reasons, what do you feel is most important for you personally?
    Although meeting new people and exploring new places is a big part of uni life that's important to me, I'm ultimately going to uni in order to get the best degree possible and best education. So I'd have to say the uni with the best degrees and best reputation of education is most important to me personally, but the problem is how can I know which is the best uni do that? It's quite subjective

Although meeting new people and exploring new places is a big part of uni life that's important to me, I'm ultimately going to uni in order to get the best degree possible and best education. So I'd have to say the uni with the best degrees and best reputation of education is most important to me personally, but the problem is how can I know which is the best uni do that? It's quite subjective
    Honestly, both institutions offer the potential to get a really good degree. They are both well-respected. If we're being pedantic here, Edinburgh tends to score highly on league tables - especially for international ones. You should also think about the extra-curriculars you want to be part of to. They can enhance your university experience and being a part of a society would also develop a lot of skills useful for you and your CV.

Also, I know at Scottish uni's you can take lots of different modules in your first and second year which are really valuable. Maybe think about what each university offers in terms of that as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I have to decide by Wednesday which unis I am selecting for my UCAS and I am having a hard time deciding between St Andrews and Edinburgh. What are the pros and cons of each? And is there one that employers prefer or is more recognised? Thank you!
    (I would like to study History by the way)
    Hi Mol_ly,
    I was recently in contact with a representative from St. Andrews and we had a great discussion over Skype about St. Andrews vs other Scottish and UK unis. What I got out of it was that St. Andrews is a pretty small university in terms of student size, so if you prefer smaller classes you should look at St. A (don't really know about Edinburg though, so maybe check that out). It's also an university town as opposed to Edinburg, which is a full fledged city so that may play a role in your choice - I believe things tend to be cheaper in uni towns as opposed to unis in the city. Moreover, transportation costs are super low since everything is, at most, half an hour's walk away at St. Andrews. They also let you switch majors in the second year if you don't like the major you decided in the first year.

Additionally, here's an email that the representative sent me after the discussion - it's focused on St. Andrews only, but I think it may help.

The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 named the University of St Andrews the UK University of the Year for Student Experience 2018. It’s the second year running that Scotland’s oldest university has walked off with a University of the Year title. Last year it was UK University of the Year for Teaching Quality. The Sunday Times ranking completes a highly successful year for the University of St Andrews. Scotland’s oldest university was top in the UK for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2017, again underlying the University’s commitment to our students. St Andrews also secured a Gold Award, the highest possible, in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), a new assessment of the quality of teaching and the undergraduate experience at universities across the UK.

The Guide also reveals that St Andrews has again been ranked the top university in Scotland and 3rd in the UK behind Oxbridge, 17 places ahead of its nearest rivals in Scotland. The Times and Sunday Times University Guide, which celebrates its 20th anniversary this year, is the definitive guide for prospective students.

We’re delighted to have picked up a University of the Year Award two years running for our strengths in precisely these areas, and it says much for higher education in Scotland that our institutions remain capable of competing with the very best in the UK.
    Both the University and the Students’ Association work hard to continue to improve upon the world-class student experience we provide to every student. I feel very proud to have been a part of this and I hope this news encourages students from around the globe to continue to apply and contribute to the University of St Andrews.

Hope this info dump helps and doesn't confuse you more. Let me know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brinda2018)
    Hi Mol_ly,
    I was recently in contact with a representative from St. Andrews and we had a great discussion over Skype about St. Andrews vs other Scottish and UK unis. What I got out of it was that St. Andrews is a pretty small university in terms of student size, so if you prefer smaller classes you should look at St. A (don't really know about Edinburg though, so maybe check that out). It's also an university town as opposed to Edinburg, which is a full fledged city so that may play a role in your choice - I believe things tend to be cheaper in uni towns as opposed to unis in the city. Moreover, transportation costs are super low since everything is, at most, half an hour's walk away at St. Andrews. They also let you switch majors in the second year if you don't like the major you decided in the first year.

Additionally, here's an email that the representative sent me after the discussion - it's focused on St. Andrews only, but I think it may help.

The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 named the University of St Andrews the UK University of the Year for Student Experience 2018. It’s the second year running that Scotland’s oldest university has walked off with a University of the Year title. Last year it was UK University of the Year for Teaching Quality. The Sunday Times ranking completes a highly successful year for the University of St Andrews. Scotland’s oldest university was top in the UK for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2017, again underlying the University’s commitment to our students. St Andrews also secured a Gold Award, the highest possible, in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), a new assessment of the quality of teaching and the undergraduate experience at universities across the UK.

The Guide also reveals that St Andrews has again been ranked the top university in Scotland and 3rd in the UK behind Oxbridge, 17 places ahead of its nearest rivals in Scotland. The Times and Sunday Times University Guide, which celebrates its 20th anniversary this year, is the definitive guide for prospective students.

We’re delighted to have picked up a University of the Year Award two years running for our strengths in precisely these areas, and it says much for higher education in Scotland that our institutions remain capable of competing with the very best in the UK.
    Both the University and the Students’ Association work hard to continue to improve upon the world-class student experience we provide to every student. I feel very proud to have been a part of this and I hope this news encourages students from around the globe to continue to apply and contribute to the University of St Andrews.

Hope this info dump helps and doesn't confuse you more. Let me know how it goes
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    The biggest difference is probably the location - one is quiet and predominantly university oriented, the other is a cultural hub with more facilities. Academically and job-wise, they're pretty similar. Pick on other factors, e.g. modules.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.