Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I don't really post a lot on here due to anxiety, but I am in massive need for help and advice if anyone can help.

I have Fibromyalgia and Borderline Personality Disorder as well as other potential (not diagnosed yet) illnesses and I am finding it so difficult to settle into university.

I live in a private rented flat with my partner and haven't had to move or anything as I am a mature student but I am struggling so much with the timetable and the ability to actually go into university. I had the same problems last year on my foundation course but pushed through, but now I am getting so depressed about all of it I don't know what to do!

I keep thinking it may be better for me to just leave university and focus on my health but that would literally mean going on benefits and staring at the walls of my flat.

So my questions are:
    How do you cope with university when you have a debilitating invisible illness?
    How do you push yourself to go into uni when you feel like you physically can't?
    How do you maintain a positive enough attitude to continue?

Thanks in advance x

ReputationRep:
    Fibromyalgia is a horrible disease. It is possible to power through this but you will need a routine which allows you plenty of time to recover and the full support of your boyfriend to minimise stress and tiredness which of course are likely to cause flareups.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Hundjager)
    Hi all,

I don't really post a lot on here due to anxiety, but I am in massive need for help and advice if anyone can help.

I have Fibromyalgia and Borderline Personality Disorder as well as other potential (not diagnosed yet) illnesses and I am finding it so difficult to settle into university.

I live in a private rented flat with my partner and haven't had to move or anything as I am a mature student but I am struggling so much with the timetable and the ability to actually go into university. I had the same problems last year on my foundation course but pushed through, but now I am getting so depressed about all of it I don't know what to do!

I keep thinking it may be better for me to just leave university and focus on my health but that would literally mean going on benefits and staring at the walls of my flat.

So my questions are:
    How do you cope with university when you have a debilitating invisible illness?
    How do you push yourself to go into uni when you feel like you physically can't?
    How do you maintain a positive enough attitude to continue?

Thanks in advance x
    Hi! I also have fibro and am at uni

It's really difficult to cope, but getting as much support as possible in place is the key. Having people who even just understand slightly really helps, and they can help fight your case as well when/if needed

Pushing yourself to go into uni isn't always the best thing, even if you can find a way to do it. You need to speak to support services if you haven't already and see if they can help you ask your school about the possibility of reducing your timetable and any other access pieces that might help you

To keep going, you have to be able to forgive yourself and your body. It's so easy to hold resentment towards it which really doesn't help at all. Find things outside of class, maybe societies or something else low impact that you can enjoy, so that you continue to have fun at uni and don't just associate it with stress and pain

ReputationRep:
    Hi Hundjager,

I was looking at the disability support services at a university I was interested in going to. They had a few pdfs on what is available for students with medical conditions & in one, it says about reasonable adjustments including flexibility with class attendance and also lecture slides being provided to you in advance.

You could speak to your Student Support services at your uni, explain that you're struggling & ask if these reasonable adjustments could be put in place. They may be able to help you in other ways as well.

Take care and be kind to yourself. You're doing the best you can.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.