Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneMists)
    Well done. You got your praise.
    I'm not looking for any praise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 411794ms)
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently in year 12 and am studying A level Biology, Chemistry, Maths and AS level Further Maths. My "minimum expected grades" are AAAA. I am hoping to be predicted A*A*A and achieve an A in AS F. Maths (although I am finding it relatively difficult).

My IGCSE grades were:
    A*s in Bio, Chem, Maths, Physics, English lang and Spanish.
    As in Geog, English lit and Classics.

I would love to apply for Biochemistry at Oxford, but I'm not sure if it's worth it when my grades are inferior. If anyone has tips on how to boost my chances of getting an offer, that would be great.

Any replies would be much appreciated, and many thanks.
    All fine.

ReputationRep:
    Okay
    I suspect they were being sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    All fine.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I suspect they were being sarcastic.
    Yeah I hope so lol

ReputationRep:
    Okay
    You definitely have a shot (no sarcasm this time)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fonzworth)
    You definitely have a shot (no sarcasm this time)
    Thanks haha. I don't mind a bit of criticism though

ReputationRep:
    You have a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    You have a good chance.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Thanks haha. I don't mind a bit of criticism though
    Just because you got a bunch of A*s and As at GCSE, and/or at AS, it doesn't mean you will get in. Or even are close to getting in. If you want the truth, rather than the heavily simplified reassurance, there are many many people with better grades than you. I don't know the exact statistics, but over 50% will have over 7 A*s. This is Oxford we are talking about, not Cambridge.

The entry test and interview is what many people don't realize are very significant in the admissions process. It is not uncommon at all for people to get very low percentages in the assessments; but conversely, it is extremely uncommon to get people with scores above 80% or so.

ReputationRep:
    since for biochem there isn't an entry test( as of 2017 entry anyway) they look at GCSEs a lot.
    my friend had stats: 6A*s 7As, AAAA at AS
    A*AA predicted
    rejected. not even an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sortmeoutgeezer)
    since for biochem there isn't an entry test( as of 2017 entry anyway) they look at GCSEs a lot.
    my friend had stats: 6A*s 7As, AAAA at AS
    A*AA predicted
    rejected. not even an interview.
    Wow. That's crazy. Thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenneye_j)
    Just because you got a bunch of A*s and As at GCSE, and/or at AS, it doesn't mean you will get in. Or even are close to getting in. If you want the truth, rather than the heavily simplified reassurance, there are many many people with better grades than you. I don't know the exact statistics, but over 50% will have over 7 A*s. This is Oxford we are talking about, not Cambridge.

The entry test and interview is what many people don't realize are very significant in the admissions process. It is not uncommon at all for people to get very low percentages in the assessments; but conversely, it is extremely uncommon to get people with scores above 80% or so.
    Yes, I am aware that the probability of me even getting an interview are extremely low. But I do not think that applicants for Biochemistry have to sit an entry test. Thank you for the reply.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you apply to natural science at cambridge? Sure you don't start out in biochem but you can specialize into it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am aware that the probability of me even getting an interview are extremely low. But I do not think that applicants for Biochemistry have to sit an entry test. Thank you for the reply.
    I think avoid Oxford. Apply to Camb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sortmeoutgeezer)
    I think avoid Oxford. Apply to Camb
    I'm not sure. Natural sciences seems more competitive and I would prefer to go straight into Biochem. I was thinking of Imperial, but its basically just as competitive as oxbridge anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.