Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have somehow managed to be predicted A*AA at A level and have chosen 4 university options, (ranging from AAA-ABB) however my head teachers believes I need to also have a lower option so is there any good quality law courses with slightly lower grades such as ABB? Also if a university says their entry requirements are AAA-ABB does that mean they will accept ABB or mainly AAA? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    There are no "good" sub-ABB courses. With A*AA predictions, I don't think you should be considering them. Least of all because they will be in Clearing anyway.

I misread your post: you're looking for ABB. Liverpool is the perennial ABB course. AAB I would consider Exeter too.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool is a Russel group ABB uni you could consider

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    There are no "good" sub-ABB courses. With A*AA predictions, I don't think you should be considering them. Least of all because they will be in Clearing anyway.
    I do agree although my college is insisting that I have a wider range but I don't want to "waste" a choice so I may continue with my choices I already have. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistryGuy1998)
    Liverpool is a Russel group ABB uni you could consider
    That was one of my options but it's a 5/6 hour journey from where I live and seems crazily far.

ReputationRep:
    Grade ranges like AAA-ABB mean that the lower grade range is for Contextual offers (for those from low performing schools or other disadvantaged backgrounds) and the higher grades are for all other applicants.

The usual advice re. your 5 choices is :
    1 just above your predicted grades
    2 or 3 at your predicted grades
    1 or 2 below your predicted grades

With your predicted grades I would go for 3 at A*AA or AAA, 2 at AAB or ABB.
    You will not need a lower grade choice than that.

[ If your teacher is suggesting you need any lower grade choices than that, then he/she doesn't believe their own predictions? ]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Grade ranges like AAA-ABB mean that the lower grade range is for Contextual offers (for those from low performing schools or other disadvantaged backgrounds) and the higher grades are for all other applicants.

The usual advice re. your 5 choices is :
    1 just above your predicted grades
    2 or 3 at your predicted grades
    1 or 2 below your predicted grades

With your predicted grades I would go for 3 at A*AA or AAA, 2 at AAB or ABB.
    You will not need a lower grade choice than that.

[ If your teacher is suggesting you need any lower grade choices than that, then he/she doesn't believe their own predictions? ]
    Out of curiosity, as I see you give this advice a lot, what do you then do with the offers? Say you get 5 offers, with A*AA predictions, would you firm the A*AA and insure one of the AAA or the AAB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Out of curiosity, as I see you give this advice a lot, what do you then do with the offers? Say you get 5 offers, with A*AA predictions, would you firm the A*AA and insure one of the AAA or the AAB?
    That would be sensible. However its a very personal choice at that stage, and can depend on how confident you feel about your grades in the middle of next year, any new feelings you have about individual Unis/courses etc etc. For most people at this level they wont get all 5 offers - this is why its important to spread your choices so that if (for instance) all your choices were AAA and you only get two offers, you have no obvious Insurance offer and how do you choose which of the AAA offers to Firm?

Advice here on making Firm & Insurance choices : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices

ReputationRep:
    I think your teachers are being a tad conservative on this and you would be wasting a choice at this stage.

I'd suggest you only put four options in your UCAS form initially. Then see what offers you get and play it from there. If you do not get offers at all then you can put a safe choice in as your fifth choice later on. If you are getting a good selection of offers then you can then consider what to do with your fifth choice later, depending whether you need a stretch or a safe option.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.