Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying a-level maths, in my second year, and have decided that I am interested in doing mathematics at university, however I am not studying A-level further maths, so I have decided to do the A-level in one year in the next academic year, however it had crossed my mind that the syllabus is changing, how will this at all effect me? Will I be doing FP1 - 3 or will it be totally different? Any help is appreciated.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AA5)
    I am currently studying a-level maths, in my second year, and have decided that I am interested in doing mathematics at university, however I am not studying A-level further maths, so I have decided to do the A-level in one year in the next academic year, however it had crossed my mind that the syllabus is changing, how will this at all effect me? Will I be doing FP1 - 3 or will it be totally different? Any help is appreciated.
    Couldn't you start this year, as it's still quite early?

I'm not familiar with the changes in this case, so I'll tag some teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    You would be studying the old specification. The new A-level further maths is not going to be sat until 2019.
    That's the problem, I'll sit A-level Maths in next year and then I'll do further, which will be in 2019

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    Couldn't you start this year, as it's still quite early?

I'm not familiar with the changes in this case, so I'll tag some teachers.
    I can't as the timetable clashes with my other subjects and I'd still have to do the whole A-level in one year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AA5)
    That's the problem, I'll sit A-level Maths in next year and then I'll do further, which will be in 2019
    Sorry, I thought you were studying it from this year. You'll be sitting the new specification, then, I'm pretty sure the 2019 series is just resits for the old spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Sorry, I thought you were studying it from this year. You'll be sitting the new specification, then, I'm pretty sure the 2019 series is just resits for the old spec.
    (Original post by AA5)
    _gcx is right, if you don't take the exams until summer 2019 you will have to sit the first set of exams under the new further maths specification. Summer 2019 old specification exams are exclusively for resits.

the structure and content of the new specification further maths is very different from the old one. You should keep in mind also that the new further maths specifications assumes knowledge gained from the new specification maths content. Depending on your options studied for maths, there may be gaps in what you have learnt.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.