Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in computer science and more so game development. I'm taking a gap year and I would like to strengthen my mathematical knowledge. I know that discrete mathematics, trigonometry and linear algebra are quite important for Compsci and game dev respectively, but would completing all the Further Maths and a few of the Statistics and Mechanics (Mechanics 2/Mechanics3 and Statistics 2/Statistics 3) edexcel modules help me cover most of the knowledge I would need? On top of that, what math would you recommend I learn and what resources would you advise i use (online or otherwise)?

Note: I've already completed Mechanics 1 and Mechanics 2. To add on to that, I wouldn't be sitting any examinations, I would simply study the modules and test my proficiency by completing past papers.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hello Paranoid_Glitch,

I recommend the following books to my undergraduate students on our Computing for Games course:

Jenkyns, T. (2012) Fundamentals of Discrete Math for Computer Science: A Problem-Solving Primer. Springer.
    Lengyel, E. (2016) Foundations of Game Engine Development, Volume 1: Mathematics. Terathon Software LLC.
    Dunn, F. & Parberry, I. (2011) 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development, 2nd Edition. CRC Press.
    Dalgaard, P. (2008) Introductory Statistics with R. Springer.

If you are not going to be formally examined on these topics, and you already have a knowledge of the Core and Mechanics content at A-level standard, then I recommend jumping into mathematics used to make games and actually programming prototypes to test your knowledge. You'll gain relevant experience and have something to show-off to admission tutors and/or potential employers to demonstrate that experience.

With Regards,
    Michael

ReputationRep:
    CLRS and linear algebra and it's applications might be useful. Look into TAOCP and axler or some pure linear algebra book for more rigour.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.