Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I want to study nursing in either Keele which is in Newcastle or go to Bradford uni.. ( ignoring the title asking if the uni's itself are racist) but I've heard they're extremely racist ' up north' is this true? I live in London now and don't want to be nearly 6 hours a way from home crying and depressed because of racism, especially because I'll be in a hospital and people act out more when their in pain etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tammyxo)
    So I want to study nursing in either Keele which is in Newcastle or go to Bradford uni.. ( ignoring the title asking if the uni's itself are racist) but I've heard they're extremely racist ' up north' is this true? I live in London now and don't want to be nearly 6 hours a way from home crying and depressed because of racism, especially because I'll be in a hospital and people act out more when their in pain etc
    No

ReputationRep:
    You do know Keele isn't "up north"?

I think you may have got your Newcastles mixed up.

ReputationRep:
    Just becaude the North isn't as diverse as London, doesn't mean it's racist. Northerners are mostly friendly people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    You do know Keele isn't "up north"?

I think you may have got your Newcastles mixed up.
    How many newcastles is there lol

ReputationRep:
    How many newcastles is there lol
    Newcastle Upon Tyne is the one in the northeast
    Newcastle Under Lyme is in Staffordshire and is where Keele university is

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for Keele but I've lived in Bradford for all my life and truly it's the most multicultural place I've been to. I remember going down to Nottingham and being extremely shocked at how white the place is. Bradford Uni is much like it's college which is extremely inclusive.

To be honest, I can say a lot of us Northeners are accepting, it's because the EDL and Britain First tend to base up North that everyone has this stereotype that we're all hardy stupidly ignorant white people.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You may want to check out the difference between the two Newcastles. They're extremely different. One isn't northern at all.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, you get racist people everywhere, even in London. On the whole, you shouldn't experience racism too much. There may be a few ignorant idiots, but don't let it get to you. Most of the people are friendly.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Tammyxo

cheesecakelove is right. Nowhere is without a few fools, but to put your mind at ease...
    We have over 130 nationalities that study here at the University of Bradford; a huge variety of different cultures and languages make up the student experience here and we are very proud of that.

Speaking to students across the summer we have found that our diversity was in the top 3 things our students loved about studying with us. We also came first in the UK for the 'Welcome' category in the International Student Barometer 2016.

If you haven't visited us yet i highly recommend coming along to our next mini open day to see for yourself!

Have a great day,

Emma P

ReputationRep:
    I've come from London too to live up north for uni and this is completely false. I'm dark skinned and have never had any racial problems up here. Keele which is in Newcastle Under Lyme and Bradford have a large mix of different students all from different backgrounds and cultures. You'll be shocked! Stoke and Bradford also have a large range of locals who come from different cultures and places around the world. You'll be fine!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.