Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

This is my first post on here, just starting to learn how all of this works! One thing that's been constantly on my mind is if I even have any chance of getting into Cambridge to study Economics.

I go to a very top secondary school, however I performed relatively poorly in my GCSEs, achieving 6As, 5Bs and 1C (in drama). I know for a fact that this was purely down to laziness, and if I had tried just a little bit harder I could have achieved A*s and As overall.

I want to study Economics at university, and I am currently studying Economics, Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A level. At my school, we could only study Further Maths if we got an 8 (A*) in Maths, but I only got a 7 (A).

I know that this puts me at a slight disadvantage, and that I cannot apply to LSE, for example. I also know that Cambridge looks a little less at GCSE results, but have heard that they compare your results to the school's overall performance- which was exceptional (again, putting me at a disadvantage).

I have only just started year 12, but say I were to do incredibly well and have predicted grades of for example 2-4 A*s (and the others A's), and if I get accepted for the interview and do strongly there, in addition to a very good personal statement, do you think I stand a chance of being able to get an offer????

If you think so, how likely do you think this is?

Thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    I would say no, they really recommend you to do further maths. Also, it states in their booklet (that I got at their open day), that the average applicant (not offer recipient) has 6A*s on average. I'd say your chances are quite slim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econflower)
    Hi all,

This is my first post on here, just starting to learn how all of this works! One thing that's been constantly on my mind is if I even have any chance of getting into Cambridge to study Economics.

I go to a very top secondary school, however I performed relatively poorly in my GCSEs, achieving 6As, 5Bs and 1C (in drama). I know for a fact that this was purely down to laziness, and if I had tried just a little bit harder I could have achieved A*s and As overall.

I want to study Economics at university, and I am currently studying Economics, Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A level. At my school, we could only study Further Maths if we got an 8 (A*) in Maths, but I only got a 7 (A).

I know that this puts me at a slight disadvantage, and that I cannot apply to LSE, for example. I also know that Cambridge looks a little less at GCSE results, but have heard that they compare your results to the school's overall performance- which was exceptional (again, putting me at a disadvantage).

I have only just started year 12, but say I were to do incredibly well and have predicted grades of for example 2-4 A*s (and the others A's), and if I get accepted for the interview and do strongly there, in addition to a very good personal statement, do you think I stand a chance of being able to get an offer????

Thank you!!!
    It’s not a slight disadvantage it’s a massive disadvantage. Every single competitive economics applicant for Cambridge (there will literally be hundreds) will have further maths. Cambridge ‘recommends’ you take it which means they are literally telling you what they want. You won’t be studying economics at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    I think you might as well apply (after all, you get 5 options) but your chances are very slim

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econflower)
    Hi all,

Thank you!!!
    Many of the things said by previous posters are not quite correct.
    FM is strongly recommended but not requirement. As long as you show enough strength in you Maths ability (which is vital), it is possible to be successful. But if your can self-study FM, at least modules on statistics, it’ll help your application and also when you’re actually on the course.

Yes, Economics is one of the most competitive courses at Cambridge, but grade is just one part of application as is for other courses at Cambridge. So it is possible to compensate for your relative weakness in your grade & lack of FM by very good performance at interview and pre-assessment test.

But one thing you should bear on mind is that Economics at Cambridge is very Maths-heavy. So if Maths is not your very strong subject (or one of your favourite subjects), you may not enjoy their course.

Actual admission people from two colleges of Cambridge are currently hosting a joint-thread to answer questions from prospective applicants.
    So I’d recommend you ask them while they’re there.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4968162

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Many of the things said by previous posters are not quite correct.
    FM is strongly recommended but not requirement. As long as you show enough strength in you Maths ability (which is vital), it is possible to be successful. But if your can self-study FM, at least modules on statistics, it’ll help your application and also when you’re actually on the course.

Yes, Economics is one of the most competitive courses at Cambridge, but grade is just one part of application as is for other courses at Cambridge. So it is possible to compensate for your relative weakness in your grade & lack of FM by very good performance at interview and pre-assessment test.

But one thing you should bear on mind is that Economics at Cambridge is very Maths-heavy. So if Maths is not your very strong subject (or one of your favourite subjects), you may not enjoy their course.

Actual admission people from two colleges of Cambridge are currently hosting a joint-thread to answer questions from prospective applicants.
    So I’d recommend you ask them while they’re there.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4968162
    Thank you for this reply!! Funnily enough, I just came back from scrolling through (and asking a question) on that thread, and saw this reply afterwards.

Yes I enjoy maths very much, in fact it has generally been a strong subject for me - in my GCSEs, I had a lack of focus during the most important periods of study, which is why I fell behind and didn't achieve the 8/9.

I will definitely self-study the main parts of the further maths course, thank you for this suggestion!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    First of all, neither LSE nor Cambridge require Further Maths, although a significant number of successful applicants do have it.

Your school will need to provide an academic reference, and if they indicate that their policy is to only allow students to take FM if they achieve an 8 in GCSE and so you were prevented from pursuing it as a result, AND you are presumably working at a level comparable to the Maths/FM students in Maths itself then that will probably ameliorate the lack of FM to an extent. If they can say "x is doing as well as y who is doing double maths and if it were not for the policy we believe x would be doing well in FM" or "x is doing better than z who is doing double maths, who is the best in the class for FM" or similar - then provided that is true, at least they can appreciate you probably would do well enough to be able to do FM but the overly prescriptive policies of your school prevented you from doing so.

In general a progression in results from GCSE to A-levels is viewed positively, and they appreciate that the maturity of an applicant can signficantly improve between GCSE and A-level, and this is part fo the reason they don't put as much stock into GCSEs (or at the least, don't consider them without context). Additionally if you do very well in the admissions assessment, particularly in the maths sections, this will signal that you have better maths ability than perhaps you demonstrated at the end of GCSE Maths.

Alternately you can take FM in a gap year/reapplication year, either in your current school or elsewhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.