Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need to sort my life out, urgent help needed (Economics/Law) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I've just graduated with a low 2:1 in Economics but it dawned on me during 2nd year that I don't want to do anything office orientated ever, as time went on I didn't pursue an alternative so now I'm kind of trapped. I'm taking a year out for health reasons and need advice going forward

Torn between getting a masters in Economics, getting a job in Economics next year, converting to law via a GDL and then doing the LBC or BPT (?)

Does anyone have any advice on which of these ends up with the least boring career/is the hardest/has the most monetary returns?

Also, regarding internships if I wanted to do any this year would it be too late to apply? How do I apply?

I know these are questions even an 18 year old should have the answer to but I'm not much of a forward thinker, thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Bump, someone help pls
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by portvaldes)
    Ok so I've just graduated with a low 2:1 in Economics but it dawned on me during 2nd year that I don't want to do anything office orientated ever, as time went on I didn't pursue an alternative so now I'm kind of trapped. I'm taking a year out for health reasons and need advice going forward

Torn between getting a masters in Economics, getting a job in Economics next year, converting to law via a GDL and then doing the LBC or BPT (?)

Does anyone have any advice on which of these ends up with the least boring career/is the hardest/has the most monetary returns?

Also, regarding internships if I wanted to do any this year would it be too late to apply? How do I apply?

I know these are questions even an 18 year old should have the answer to but I'm not much of a forward thinker, thanks in advance
    Why would you do the GDL if you don't want an office job? Most legal jobs will require a pretty heavy amount of time in an office doing work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Why would you do the GDL if you don't want an office job? Most legal jobs will require a pretty heavy amount of time in an office doing work.
    Forgot to mention I realised it might be too late for me to avoid an office job at this point, just looking for the least instensive office job

Would you recommend the Economics route or the Law route?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to mention I realised it might be too late for me to avoid an office job at this point, just looking for the least instensive office job

Neither if you aren't interested in an intense office job.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

You have clearly done your research - law is very well known for its easy hours.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if sarcasm is it actually? I just need a safety net if my alternative career routes fail, they're all media orientated but I carry a lot of self-doubt, im gifted in the Economics and probably Law but have no passion for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Neither if you aren't interested in an intense office job.
    I know this is the correct answer but just looking for the lesser of two evils, any ideas?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I know this is the correct answer but just looking for the lesser of two evils, any ideas?
    They are as evil as each other. I think you need to have a re-think and consider a different career path completely.

I can't see any logic in you doing a Masters in Economics or the GDL based on what you have said so far. You'd only be doing either option if you knew exactly what type of career you wanted and if it was necessary for the job/career.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speckle)
    You have clearly done your research - law is very well known for its easy hours.
    Also to the fact law is mainly office work - clients did have lots of paperwork in their files! :sadnod::sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered becoming a teacher or university professor in Economics or Law? That way you can do the subjects you love but not in an office?
    xx

ReputationRep:
    The reality is all those pathways are heavily office orientated, particularly if in finance/solicitor
    Most money = IB or Barrister: For this, you really need to have gone to a top uni, like top 5 and also need a 1st or high 2:1
    Hardest = probably barrister
    'Least boring' = subjective, just remember must people who do law love law, often they're on much less than those in banking, but still enjoy it
    Personally I think all the options you outlined seem wrong to you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.