Biology: A
    Chemistry: A
    Physics: A
    RS: A
    History: A*
    Geography: A
    French: A
    Citizenship (short-course): B

I thought these were good results but after looking at entry requirements for Dentistry, they want an A in English Language. My UKCAT score was not the best as well. I only got 615 av. Do you think I have a chance of getting into Dentistry? If so, which Uni's should I apply to? I was thinking of Plymouth, QMUL, Cardiff and Bristol. Thoughts pleaaasee!!!

Also just some added info. I've been predicted 3 A's, I've got a week of work experience at a dental surgery and a lot of volunteer work as well as a research placement for 4 weeks.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samjackson143)
    Hello!

So I got my GCSE results last year which were OK. I got

Maths: B (one mark off an A)
    English Language: B
    English Literature: A
    Biology: A
    Chemistry: A
    Physics: A
    RS: A
    History: A*
    Geography: A
    French: A
    Citizenship (short-course): B

I thought these were good results but after looking at entry requirements for Dentistry, they want an A in English Language. My UKCAT score was not the best as well. I only got 615 av. Do you think I have a chance of getting into Dentistry? If so, which Uni's should I apply to? I was thinking of Plymouth, QMUL, Cardiff and Bristol. Thoughts pleaaasee!!!

Also just some added info. I've been predicted 3 A's, I've got a week of work experience at a dental surgery and a lot of volunteer work as well as a research placement for 4 weeks.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!
    There are 14 dental schools who do dentistry undergraduate in the UK. So we need to elimate those which you don’t meet the requirement for; these are:
    Cardiff ( want A in English and maths)
    Birmingham( want A* in biology and chemistry gcse)
    Bristol ( want an A in maths GCSE)
    Uni of Belfast ( they have a high gcse cut off)
    Liverpool ( they shortlist for interview via gcse)
    Glasgow( they want an A in maths UNLESS you’ve done it at a level)

You have a chance for the rest but your Ukcat unfortunately isn’t the best so you don’t have a chance at uni that are ukcat heavy, which are the rest of the universities that You meet requiremts for.

I would advise you apply anyway this year, and as your 5th option pick a degree you may see yourself doing. Get AAA at a level and take a gap year and reapply and smashing out ukcat at same time.

Maybe take the bmat and apply to Leeds I would say is kinda your last resort for this year.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware, uni of Belfast doesnt have a gcse cut off so you could try that. QMUL are 50% ukcat, 50% ucas tariff. I wouldnt apply to Cardiff as I heard you need a minimum of 5A*s at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Also when I emailed Liverpool they said that they only check to see whether you've met their GCSE requirements, I dont think they look at GCSEs that much when shortlisting.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mate Just interested to know where you got the dentistry work experience, was considering it myself but didn't manage to find any yet. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon5638)
    As far as I'm aware, uni of Belfast doesnt have a gcse cut off so you could try that. QMUL are 50% ukcat, 50% ucas tariff. I wouldnt apply to Cardiff as I heard you need a minimum of 5A*s at GCSE.
    They have A* for 4 points and an A for 3 points and last year they had a cut off of 32 points out of 36 points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiger_manpower)
    They have A* for 4 points and an A for 3 points and last year they had a cut off of 32 points out of 36 points
    Yeah I did see that on their admissions section, but they also add the UKCAT points to the GCSE points I thought

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did see that on their admissions section, but they also add the UKCAT points to the GCSE points I thought
    Yes they do, but for OP Belfast may not be the best one due to their gcse results

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying for dentistry ?

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying for dentistry ?
    Could be worth a shot though. I am are you?

ReputationRep:
    Could be worth a shot though. I am are you?
    Yes I am.. what are your stats( gcse, as , predictions and ukcat) and where are you applying if you don’t mind?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am.. what are your stats( gcse, as , predictions and ukcat) and where are you applying if you don’t mind?
    I'll dm you

ReputationRep:
    There are 14 dental schools who do dentistry undergraduate in the UK. So we need to elimate those which you don’t meet the requirement for; these are:
    Cardiff ( want A in English and maths)
    Birmingham( want A* in biology and chemistry gcse)
    Bristol ( want an A in maths GCSE)
    Uni of Belfast ( they have a high gcse cut off)
    Liverpool ( they shortlist for interview via gcse)
    Glasgow( they want an A in maths UNLESS you’ve done it at a level)

You have a chance for the rest but your Ukcat unfortunately isn’t the best so you don’t have a chance at uni that are ukcat heavy, which are the rest of the universities that You meet requiremts for.

I would advise you apply anyway this year, and as your 5th option pick a degree you may see yourself doing. Get AAA at a level and take a gap year and reapply and smashing out ukcat at same time.

Maybe take the bmat and apply to Leeds I would say is kinda your last resort for this year.
    Literally thank you for all your help!

ReputationRep:
    Also when I emailed Liverpool they said that they only check to see whether you've met their GCSE requirements, I dont think they look at GCSEs that much when shortlisting.
    Aw thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsGuy25)
    Hi Mate Just interested to know where you got the dentistry work experience, was considering it myself but didn't manage to find any yet. Thanks
    I did mine in a local dental clinic

ReputationRep:
    Aw thank you for your help!
    Very sorry about incorrect Liverpool information;
    I emailed them and they said:
    “When shortlisting for interview we would first check that the academic criteria has been met. For applicants who fulfil this criteria (minimum A level and GCSE requirement in place), we would then look at their UKCAT scores in conjunction with their Personal Statement (which we score). We would then interview the top 300 students from this group and an offer would then be dependent on the applicant’s interview score. We do not have a set UKCAT score cut-off point at Liverpool Dental School, as the UKCAT scores are considered along with the Personal Statement and academic attainments. It is unlikely however that we would consider an applicant that was placed in band 4 of the situational judgement part of the UKCAT.”

So you may have a shot a Liverpool as they want 5 A grades at GCSE which you have

ReputationRep:
    Very sorry about incorrect Liverpool information;
    I emailed them and they said:
    “When shortlisting for interview we would first check that the academic criteria has been met. For applicants who fulfil this criteria (minimum A level and GCSE requirement in place), we would then look at their UKCAT scores in conjunction with their Personal Statement (which we score). We would then interview the top 300 students from this group and an offer would then be dependent on the applicant’s interview score. We do not have a set UKCAT score cut-off point at Liverpool Dental School, as the UKCAT scores are considered along with the Personal Statement and academic attainments. It is unlikely however that we would consider an applicant that was placed in band 4 of the situational judgement part of the UKCAT.”

So you may have a shot a Liverpool as they want 5 A grades at GCSE which you have
    Literally thank you for all your help! Are you applying to dentistry?

ReputationRep:
    Literally thank you for all your help! Are you applying to dentistry?
    Yes.. just sent off my application.. where have you applied ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.