Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I wanted to ask if you think that I should apply for a Bsc in Finance or a Bsc in Financial Mathematics and Statistics at LSE. Both are highly quantitative courses but I wanted to ask which one you think is more prestigious and reputed.

My other choices are:
    MORSE at Warwick;
    Mathematics and Statistics for Finance at Imperial College;
    Statistics with Economics and Finance at UCL;
    Mathematics with Management and Finance at King's College.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    They both definitely are competitive courses and I'm pretty sure they are well regarded in the city.
    The courses have different characteristics though.
    I asked a portfolio manager (ex-Goldman) about the course structure and he said LSE's BSc Financial Mathematics and Statistics would offer the knowledge you would need when you work in the structuring or risk department in IB's. Not really the course you want to study if you want to be a portfolio manager in HFs.
    And actually Finance is a less quantitative course than Financial Mathematics and Statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by premedmath)
    They both definitely are competitive courses and I'm pretty sure they are well regarded in the city.
    The courses have different characteristics though.
    I asked a portfolio manager (ex-Goldman) about the course structure and he said LSE's BSc Financial Mathematics and Statistics would offer the knowledge you would need when you work in the structuring or risk department in IB's. Not really the course you want to study if you want to be a portfolio manager in HFs.
    And actually Finance is a less quantitative course than Financial Mathematics and Statistics.
    You can go into portfolio management with either BSc Finance or Financial Maths and Stats. I know PMs with history degrees, maths degrees, physics degrees, economics degrees, all kinds of degrees. All the major banks and asset management firms hire from a variety of degree backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    Wont make any difference tbh, you can get into any job with both and your degree wont matter much in finance, you uni will matter much more.
    Finanacial maths and stats are gonna be more abstract were as straight finance is gonna be closer to econ.
    Go for the one you would like the most, i'd say financial maths as straight finance is one of the most competitive course, and small number of students and your PS seems to be tailored towards maths a bit more
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akbar0123)
    You can go into portfolio management with either BSc Finance or Financial Maths and Stats. I know PMs with history degrees, maths degrees, physics degrees, economics degrees, all kinds of degrees. All the major banks and asset management firms hire from a variety of degree backgrounds.

My point is the knowledge you learn from Financial Mathematics and Statistics is more suitable for risk roles.

ReputationRep:
    I am looking forward to working in either an investment bank (JP morgan, goldman sachs...) or a hedge fund but am quite unsure about my future career path. Which of the two courses do you think offers more job opportunities?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.