Pre-University Experience/Placement

Watch
LM99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am an 18yo Pre-University student taking a year out between finishing high school and starting at Glasgow University next September to study Mechanical Engineering. I had a work placement lined up until April next year with a company based in Edinburgh. However this recently fell through and I am now without any sort of relevant experience for the year. Originally I signed up to the EDT year in industry however their options for placements in Scotland were limited let alone Edinburgh, I then resorted to contacting the previously mentioned company and went in for an interview, which went brilliantly and I was told that the only remaining formality was approval by HR who were based down in England. This took about a month to happen and I was then told that they were not able to hire me due to budgetary restrictions, leaving me without any plans. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me or anyone else in a similar situation on how to make the most of my gap year and gain some relevant experience.
Cheers

Edit: Not sure if this is the correct forum but couldn't decide from the options
username775001
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i took a gap year and did internships, work experience, volunteering and built a solid cv from it
Pissedofwithacne
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dominoes)
i took a gap year and did internships, work experience, volunteering and built a solid cv from it
Which industry did you want to get into - after university that is?
LM99
Rep:
?
How did you find places willing to take you on and how would you recommend I approach companies?
username775001
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pissedofwithacne)
Which industry did you want to get into - after university that is?
finance

(Original post by LM99)
How did you find places willing to take you on and how would you recommend I approach companies?
just googled charities, work experience. go on indeed and gumtree search for internships/work experience. sent out tonnes of speculative applications. just keep eyes open the whole year and need a lot of luck
LM99
Rep:
?
finance

just googled charities, work experience. go on indeed and gumtree search for internships/work experience. sent out tonnes of speculative applications. just keep eyes open the whole year and need a lot of luck
Alright thanks for the advice, I'll have a look.
Pissedofwithacne
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
finance

Oh nice - I want to head into finance as well and thinking about taking a gap year too (Im in year 13).

- where and how did you get work experience if you don't mind me asking?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads