Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm well into my 2nd year of A-levels but I still don't have the slightest idea of what I want to do. the issue is that I am an A* student studying Biology,Chemstry and Music Technology, however even though I am so good at my subjects I still don't know what to do after a-levels. its too late to apply for medicine and Oxford/Cambridge, and courses I was initially interested in (BioChem for e.g) I have been put of by Uni open days, showing me how boring they actually are, 99% of science related jobs from what I have seen Is just taking a sample putting it into a machine and taking the results into a computer. however my other path Music Technology I am being put of as if I go into this career path I am putting myself on equal footing with people who only got a few c's at gcse, which seems kind of unfair for me considering my potential. sorry if it seems like I am being "cocky" or "big Headed" but there is no other way to describe my situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex 94911)
    I'm well into my 2nd year of A-levels but I still don't have the slightest idea of what I want to do. the issue is that I am an A* student studying Biology,Chemstry and Music Technology, however even though I am so good at my subjects I still don't know what to do after a-levels. its too late to apply for medicine and Oxford/Cambridge, and courses I was initially interested in (BioChem for e.g) I have been put of by Uni open days, showing me how boring they actually are, 99% of science related jobs from what I have seen Is just taking a sample putting it into a machine and taking the results into a computer. however my other path Music Technology I am being put of as if I go into this career path I am putting myself on equal footing with people who only got a few c's at gcse, which seems kind of unfair for me considering my potential. sorry if it seems like I am being "cocky" or "big Headed" but there is no other way to describe my situation
    Have you done any work experience (particularly in medicine)? You could always apply to a more generic degree (i.e. natural sciences, arts and sciences at UCL etc.) or take a gap year and figure it out by then (i.e. if you find out you want to do medicine you could apply in your gap year)

ReputationRep:
    Alright mate, I am James. I recently dropped out of Durham after my first year. I was similar to you, I was sick as **** at my subjects. I didn't really want to uni but I guess I was pressured into applying to Oxbridge to study maths. I actually got an offer for Cambridge. Anyway, I realised that uni wasn't for me - it isn't for everyone. I recorded myself just after I dropped out. https://youtu.be/XZJbdxXUtks

Interested in what I'm doing now? Just ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djdubzzy)
    Have you done any work experience (particularly in medicine)? You could always apply to a more generic degree (i.e. natural sciences, arts and sciences at UCL etc.) or take a gap year and figure it out by then (i.e. if you find out you want to do medicine you could apply in your gap year)
    I have only done work experience in regards to dentistry, any other medical fields I advent touched, mainly because I am so unsure what I want to do, I don't want to waste time doing useless experience. regardless of this the idea of having to study for 14 years before you have an official license really doesn't appeal to me

I have looked at natural sciences but now its too late to apply and I haven't heard of this Arts and Sciences at UCL before

if I did end up choosing medicine or oxbridge then I guess I wouldn't really have any other options but to take a gap year :/ Even then I don't know what I would be doing for that year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSSB)
    Alright mate, I am James. I recently dropped out of Durham after my first year. I was similar to you, I was sick as **** at my subjects. I didn't really want to uni but I guess I was pressured into applying to Oxbridge to study maths. I actually got an offer for Cambridge. Anyway, I realised that uni wasn't for me - it isn't for everyone. I recorded myself just after I dropped out. https://youtu.be/XZJbdxXUtks

Interested in what I'm doing now? Just ask.
    I'm getting pressured to do a take a "legitimate" course and to "not waste my potential" and so on, I don't think its that I don't want to go to units I would very much enjoy to do so, its just that I haven't seen anything that has clicked with me yet.

my options are still open so I would like to know what you"re doing currently, maybe it will be a more appealing path

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting pressured to do a take a "legitimate" course and to "not waste my potential" and so on, I don't think its that I don't want to go to units I would very much enjoy to do so, its just that I haven't seen anything that has clicked with me yet.

my options are still open so I would like to know what you"re doing currently, maybe it will be a more appealing path
    Good for you bud. I CANNOT recommend this to everyone, it is hard. I dropped out and said I will do it my way. So I basically have been self employed building websites and doing maths tuition. Or thats the plan anyway. I have been a drop out for over a month and I've made no money so far. I'm living off of some money I had after I left uni. I have been working incredibly hard. This is what I get up to in a day. https://youtu.be/bPXrxyplVu4

I basically work 10am-10pm more or less. And I can say that even without ANY monetary success so far, it is extremely rewarding to live your own life as you see fit.

Keep moving forward as you fit brother!

J

ReputationRep:

pm me bro

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.