Need advice choosing a levels Watch

username3570982
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hiya, I have to apply to college in a few weeks and I'm torn between a level options. I have a few combinations in mind but I'm not certain on anything.

I'm planning on doing either, biology, psychology, English literature or photography.

I want to go to university but I haven't got any degree or career desires in mind, however from a young age I've loved animals and was thinking about doing marine biology, which is why I'm considering biology.

I'm not a science person I don't particularly enjoy biology but if I do want to go into marine biology, then biology a level is essential. However I'm worried I'm not strong enough to be able to do it.

I enjoy photography and think it's good to have a subject I can look forward to, but English, biology and psychology seems more realistic. However I would probably enjoy going into a degree or career involving photography.

Any advice on what to do?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by alix08)
Hiya, I have to apply to college in a few weeks and I'm torn between a level options. I have a few combinations in mind but I'm not certain on anything.

I'm planning on doing either, biology, psychology, English literature or photography.

I want to go to university but I haven't got any degree or career desires in mind, however from a young age I've loved animals and was thinking about doing marine biology, which is why I'm considering biology.

I'm not a science person I don't particularly enjoy biology but if I do want to go into marine biology, then biology a level is essential. However I'm worried I'm not strong enough to be able to do it.

I enjoy photography and think it's good to have a subject I can look forward to, but English, biology and psychology seems more realistic. However I would probably enjoy going into a degree or career involving photography.

Look at what the entry criteria are for marine biology.

Examples

Southampton 4 year Marine Biology
AAB

Maths, Biology, Physics, Geology and Chemistry are considered ‘preferred subjects’ for all our degree pathways.

Environmental Studies is a ‘preferred subject’ for MSci Oceanography and Marine Biology pathways and BSc entry to Marine Biology, Geology and Oceanography.

Geography is accepted as a ‘preferred subject’ in very specific circumstances. We do not accept Psychology as a ‘preferred subject’.

Exeter

Marine B 3 years

Typical offer
AAB-ABB; IB: 34-32
Required subjects
GCE AL grade B or IB HL5 in one of the following subjects: Biology/Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology or Maths/Pure Maths/Further Maths. GCSE Maths at grade B.
Applicants studying one of the following BTEC Extended Diplomas will be considered without GCE AL science: Applied Science, Animal Management, Agriculture, Countryside Management, Fish management, Forestry and Arboriculture, Marine Biology

Hull
    • 2017 Tariff points: 112 points. Points can be from any qualification on the UCAS tariff, but must include at least 80 points from two or more A levels, or a combination of appropriate Level 3 qualifications.
    • Applicants should have A level Biology/Applied Science at Grade C or above (or merit from BTEC). Applicants who began studying the reformed A-level in 2015 or later must also Pass the practical element.

Swansea

Entry Requirements

• A levels: grades ABB-BBB, to include Biology or Human Biology, or equivalent.
  • Welsh Baccalaureate: Requirements are as for A levels where you can substitute the same non-subject specific grade for the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Level Core Grade
  • BTEC Extended Diploma - Grades DDD plus at least one GCSE grade B in Science with GCSE Grades C in English/Welsh and Mathematics. Only science-based BTECs will be considered (excluding Animal Management and Health Science).
  • Scottish Highers: ABBCC to include Biology grade B.
  • Access to HE (Science): Pass with Distinction (24 Distinctions to include 3 in Biology, plus 15 Merits). Only science-based Access will be considered (excluding Health Sciences).
  • IB: 33-32 to include 5 in Higher Level Biology or Human Biology.
  • IELTS 6.0 (with a minimum of 6.0 in each component) or equivalent English test.
  • We may consider other qualifications if they are Science-based, if they are equivalent to A-levels, and if the content of the qualification includes significant amounts of Biology (i.e., equivalent to A-level Biology).
  • All applications will be considered on an individual basis, and we will look at the whole application when deciding whether to make an offer of a place, including: the balance, nature and quality of A-level, AS and GCSE subjects (or equivalent); personal statement and referee’s comments.

http://www.marinebiology.co.uk/marin...e-uk/education
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by alix08)

You could check to see if they do a foundation year. You need a second one from the preferred list. Not convinced the psychology rally helps and English is neutral. The photography might be a luxury 4th or one you cant afford.

How about a degree in wildlife photography? not sure there is one? there are some masters courses in it or BA in Natural History?

Southampton, Anglia and Plymouth have foundation years . Others may as well.

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/u...oundation-year
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/course...s/science.page
http://www.anglia.ac.uk/study/underg...oundation-year
http://www.hull.ac.uk/Study/UG/2017/marine-biology.aspx
username3570982
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you so much I'll look into it,
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you don't enjoy biology, what makes you think you'll enjoy marine biology?
kilner
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Marine Biology is very biology intensive, and i'm sure any Marine Biology course would give some chemistry knowledge also. If you don't like bio, I don't think it's a great choice. To be honest, you'll really struggle with Biology if you aren't 'sciency' and 'don't like it' as it is a very hard subject with a high workload, and a lot of hard science (the amount of chemistry you do in biology is ridiculous!)

I'd recommend to have a serious look into marine biology courses to see if you would want to do that. Also, A Level Biology probably isn't enough to get onto most Marine Bio. courses since they usually ask for two science subjects (especially Maths Chemistry and Physics)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Material Futures Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of Brighton
    Health and clinical practice + health professions + hospitality, tourism and events + journalism + sport and exercise Postgraduate
    Tue, 26 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (88)
14.52%
Yes - a food allergy (63)
10.4%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.48%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.64%
No (424)
69.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed