Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I have to apply to college in a few weeks and I'm torn between a level options. I have a few combinations in mind but I'm not certain on anything.

I'm planning on doing either, biology, psychology, English literature or photography.

I want to go to university but I haven't got any degree or career desires in mind, however from a young age I've loved animals and was thinking about doing marine biology, which is why I'm considering biology.

I'm not a science person I don't particularly enjoy biology but if I do want to go into marine biology, then biology a level is essential. However I'm worried I'm not strong enough to be able to do it.

I enjoy photography and think it's good to have a subject I can look forward to, but English, biology and psychology seems more realistic. However I would probably enjoy going into a degree or career involving photography.

Any advice on what to do?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by alix08)
    Hiya, I have to apply to college in a few weeks and I'm torn between a level options. I have a few combinations in mind but I'm not certain on anything.

I'm planning on doing either, biology, psychology, English literature or photography.

I want to go to university but I haven't got any degree or career desires in mind, however from a young age I've loved animals and was thinking about doing marine biology, which is why I'm considering biology.

I'm not a science person I don't particularly enjoy biology but if I do want to go into marine biology, then biology a level is essential. However I'm worried I'm not strong enough to be able to do it.

I enjoy photography and think it's good to have a subject I can look forward to, but English, biology and psychology seems more realistic. However I would probably enjoy going into a degree or career involving photography.

Look at what the entry criteria are for marine biology.

Examples

Southampton 4 year Marine Biology
    AAB

Maths, Biology, Physics, Geology and Chemistry are considered ‘preferred subjects’ for all our degree pathways.

Environmental Studies is a ‘preferred subject’ for MSci Oceanography and Marine Biology pathways and BSc entry to Marine Biology, Geology and Oceanography.

Geography is accepted as a ‘preferred subject’ in very specific circumstances. We do not accept Psychology as a ‘preferred subject’.

Exeter

Marine B 3 years

Typical offer
    AAB-ABB; IB: 34-32
    Required subjects
    GCE AL grade B or IB HL5 in one of the following subjects: Biology/Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology or Maths/Pure Maths/Further Maths. GCSE Maths at grade B.
    Applicants studying one of the following BTEC Extended Diplomas will be considered without GCE AL science: Applied Science, Animal Management, Agriculture, Countryside Management, Fish management, Forestry and Arboriculture, Marine Biology

Hull
      • 2017 Tariff points: 112 points. Points can be from any qualification on the UCAS tariff, but must include at least 80 points from two or more A levels, or a combination of appropriate Level 3 qualifications.
      • Applicants should have A level Biology/Applied Science at Grade C or above (or merit from BTEC). Applicants who began studying the reformed A-level in 2015 or later must also Pass the practical element.

Swansea

Entry Requirements

• A levels: grades ABB-BBB, to include Biology or Human Biology, or equivalent.
    • Welsh Baccalaureate: Requirements are as for A levels where you can substitute the same non-subject specific grade for the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Level Core Grade
    • BTEC Extended Diploma - Grades DDD plus at least one GCSE grade B in Science with GCSE Grades C in English/Welsh and Mathematics. Only science-based BTECs will be considered (excluding Animal Management and Health Science).
    • Scottish Highers: ABBCC to include Biology grade B.
    • Access to HE (Science): Pass with Distinction (24 Distinctions to include 3 in Biology, plus 15 Merits). Only science-based Access will be considered (excluding Health Sciences).
    • IB: 33-32 to include 5 in Higher Level Biology or Human Biology.
    • IELTS 6.0 (with a minimum of 6.0 in each component) or equivalent English test.
    • We may consider other qualifications if they are Science-based, if they are equivalent to A-levels, and if the content of the qualification includes significant amounts of Biology (i.e., equivalent to A-level Biology).
    • All applications will be considered on an individual basis, and we will look at the whole application when deciding whether to make an offer of a place, including: the balance, nature and quality of A-level, AS and GCSE subjects (or equivalent); personal statement and referee’s comments.

http://www.marinebiology.co.uk/marin...e-uk/education
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by alix08)

You could check to see if they do a foundation year. You need a second one from the preferred list. Not convinced the psychology rally helps and English is neutral. The photography might be a luxury 4th or one you cant afford.

How about a degree in wildlife photography? not sure there is one? there are some masters courses in it or BA in Natural History?

Southampton, Anglia and Plymouth have foundation years . Others may as well.

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/u...oundation-year
    https://www.southampton.ac.uk/course...s/science.page
    http://www.anglia.ac.uk/study/underg...oundation-year
    http://www.hull.ac.uk/Study/UG/2017/marine-biology.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much I'll look into it,
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you don't enjoy biology, what makes you think you'll enjoy marine biology?

ReputationRep:
    Marine Biology is very biology intensive, and i'm sure any Marine Biology course would give some chemistry knowledge also. If you don't like bio, I don't think it's a great choice. To be honest, you'll really struggle with Biology if you aren't 'sciency' and 'don't like it' as it is a very hard subject with a high workload, and a lot of hard science (the amount of chemistry you do in biology is ridiculous!)

I'd recommend to have a serious look into marine biology courses to see if you would want to do that. Also, A Level Biology probably isn't enough to get onto most Marine Bio. courses since they usually ask for two science subjects (especially Maths Chemistry and Physics)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.