Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Journalist request – your thoughts on the gig economy (Deliveroo, Uber etc) watch

Hello. I am a journalist working for the Guardian, and I am writing a piece on "millennials" and the gig economy. I'm exploring how this age group are the largest users of gig economy apps and services while also the group most likely to be working within it, and therefore the victims of any unfair practice. (Nb. I am a millennial, so this piece will not be "how do you do, fellow kids".

I'm looking for people's opinions / answers on the following points and questions. It would be great to get a discussion going below, or feel free to drop me a private message. If the latter, it'd be a help to get people's age, location and where they study or work.

– Why is it do you think that millennials are the biggest user group of apps such as Deliveroo, Uber, TaskRabbit etc? If you use them, what do you like about them?

– What do you not like about them. What could be improved upon?

– I would love to speak to anyone who has worked in the gig economy. Whether that's as a Deliveroo rider or something else. What did you think of it? How long did you work for? Why did you start / stop? What were the positives and negatives? Do you have any particularly interesting stories?

– Why do you think the gig economy has grown? What does it mean for university graduates and higher education?

– Does anybody have an opinion on the sorts of issues that have been raised ie. employees treated as contractors, earning low wages, and not receiving full-time employment benefits such as sickness pay.

– Has anybody really got involved in the sorts of protests and political movements surrounding the gig economy?

– Are there any gig economy services or apps you think I should be aware of, lesser known services perhaps.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, and feel free to add your own comments and experiences here. This is a piece exploring these issues, I am open to everyone's opinions and not looking for an agenda. Mods – apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum category.

Thanks all!

I'm recently started doing work on various online sites that I suppose fall under the umbrella of the gig economy. I started because I don't want to be tied down somewhere, I like the fact I can get jobs purely on my own merit and nothing more and I hate the thought of a 9-5 life.

Money hasn't been great so far but I'm hoping as I become more known that will improve, and it's largely just something I can do as and when I want whilst I get my own business off the ground.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2017
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.