Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever been mimicked in conversation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is something I've picked up on and experienced a few times in the last couple of years. When I've starting talking to somebody new, often men, such as staff in shops, interviewers, advisors etc. and they don't take a liking to me (or bored of me) they will extract a phrase i've recently said once or twice, such as "yeah, fair enough." and mimic it in their own voice at me in answer to my own questions. It's NOT said in any light hearted manner.

What is this plop all about? Are there a few people out there who think this is clever, trendy and not the least bit rude or immature? The men and one woman who did this were all middle-aged.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    This is something I've picked up on and experienced a few times in the last couple of years. When I've starting talking to somebody new, often men, such as staff in shops, interviewers, advisors etc. and they don't take a liking to me (or bored of me) they will extract a phrase i've recently said once or twice, such as "yeah, fair enough." and mimic it in their own voice at me in answer to my own questions. It's NOT said in any light hearted manner.

What is this plop all about? Are there a few people out there who think this is clever, trendy and not the least bit rude or immature? The men and one woman who did this were all middle-aged.
    Are you assuming they're taking the piss out of you or did it actually sound like it?

This is a very human thing to do, to mimic those around you unintentionally - you're the average of the 5 people closest to you.

Sometimes you'll notice with friends or people you meet regularly that over a long time they might start using some of your phrases or words - with some people it's much quicker.

ReputationRep:
    HaVe YoU eVeR bEeN mImIcKeD iN cOnVeRsAtIoN
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)

Some people never grow up OP. That's just how some humans are. Education and up bringing plays a big role too. Some people will never have good manners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
    Are you assuming they're taking the piss out of you or did it actually sound like it?

This is a very human thing to do, to mimic those around you unintentionally - you're the average of the 5 people closest to you.

Sometimes you'll notice with friends or people you meet regularly that over a long time they might start using some of your phrases or words - with some people it's much quicker.

Not taking the wee-wee. They all mimicked intentionally. I don't agree it's a human or even a nice way to behave with someone you've just met. It's something fairly recent in society. I did find it incredibly childish from people aged 45+ and that's the most peculiar part of it all I'm not here reporting it came from rude youngsters taking the mick which is what I'd typically expect.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.