Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I didn't pick physics A-levels to begin with (crippling low self esteem) and I've read around physics a bit and I'm thinking of applying for physics foundation year. I'm already applying for chemistry because of its theoretical aspects. I'm in a bit of pickle as I've already chosen the universities for chemistry. I've looked up two universities (Newcastle and York) for the foundation year. Do they review your application any differently? I've called up university of York over the summer for a similar reason and they said that I can send in a separate personal statement to them but yeah, I'm not sure what I should do at this point. So fair, I'm thinking of applying to chemistry for four universities then one do one application for foundation physics to either Newcastle or York.

I'm planning to go to my sixth forms careers office and call the individuals universities up to see whether I should bother.

Anyone had this kind of situation happen to them?

Any idea on what I should do and what things I should take into consideration?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Your situation would be much simpler if you can decide between physics and chemistry before you write your personal statement and make your choices. If you can't decide, and want to add more foundation choices, I would go ahead and contact other unis like you did with York. Also, consider that you may be able to do chemistry (or several other options) after the foundation year if it turns out that physics isn't your bag after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyxisgodboyo)
    I didn't pick physics A-levels to begin with (crippling low self esteem) and I've read around physics a bit and I'm thinking of applying for physics foundation year. I'm already applying for chemistry because of its theoretical aspects. I'm in a bit of pickle as I've already chosen the universities for chemistry. I've looked up two universities (Newcastle and York) for the foundation year. Do they review your application any differently? I've called up university of York over the summer for a similar reason and they said that I can send in a separate personal statement to them but yeah, I'm not sure what I should do at this point. So fair, I'm thinking of applying to chemistry for four universities then one do one application for foundation physics to either Newcastle or York.

I'm planning to go to my sixth forms careers office and call the individuals universities up to see whether I should bother.

Anyone had this kind of situation happen to them?

Any idea on what I should do and what things I should take into consideration?
    Decide on if you want to do chemistry or physics before applying. Then you can apply to more unis for either one and be more competitive as you can write your personal statement with a specific subject in mind.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.