Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am wanting to drop out because of long term mental illness, I thought I could stand commuting to uni everyday but it so happens that I can't so I don't really want to continue if I can barely attend.I'm wondering what would happen to my Student Finance? I have only received my first maintenance grant and tuition fee loan (3 instalments each). So would I only have to pay the first maintenance grant and the first tuition fee loan? or would I have to pay it all still?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by MeggyMoon)
    I am wanting to drop out because of long term mental illness, I thought I could stand commuting to uni everyday but it so happens that I can't so I don't really want to continue if I can barely attend.I'm wondering what would happen to my Student Finance? I have only received my first maintenance grant and tuition fee loan (3 instalments each). So would I only have to pay the first maintenance grant and the first tuition fee loan? or would I have to pay it all still?
    My advice is to see your GP and make a specific point that you have some mental illness and you will need to drop out of uni as you cant cope. Get them to support that and write in your records.

You can also see student welfare and then your tutor.
    You then use the official withdrawal procedure.
    Tell dept, admissions, fees and accommodation.
    You will be liable for your accommodation till you find a replacement.

Do not just run off.

This is what happnes to finances.

1. Fees- check the uni but normally you incur fees per terms i.e 25%, sometimes it can be refunded if you leave early and sometimes they want the whole lot. See a student advisor or look at the rules on the website.

2. That goes to normal student debt and not liable for repayment till earning £21k soon to be £25k. 9% of excess.

3. Maintenance paid for the period of x weeks. For the time you attend you get to jeep that and it goes to normal student debt in 2. from the day you leave that becomes an overpay and they will want it back.

4. You might have paid for accomm with it so you have to negotiate and make an arrangement with SFE. They should be ok and compromise. If you havent paid for accomm and pay SFE then you are still liable for your accomm until you find a replacement.

You should do what i said in the beginning as that is making a paper train to make a compelling personal reasons claim in the future.
    5. You can ask for a discretionary 60 days payment till you get on your feet.

6. No more student finance will be paid. Uni unlikely to chase for terms 2 and 3. they will chase for accomm rent until you get a replacement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.