Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you going to donate your organs? Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    yeah i'm on the register although some things i've said no to because of paranoia and other factors but yes
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wales made it so everyone was automatically put on the register so yes, I am on the register now though not sure my organs would be any use.
    They very quickly received enough organs for people after the change! Us Brits are too lazy to even try to take ourselves off the register. :lol:

Though my dad did because he's super anxious and not all there. He thinks he'd be mistaken for being dead and be half conscious as they take his organs out because apparently, that happened once.

(Original post by wonderuss)
    *when you die, obviously lol*

A few years ago I said I would never donate my organs but now I have completely changed my mind - I am definitely going to donate my organs.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    They stitch you together and you look normal and in one piece and peaceful.

(Original post by iqra2159)
    It's RIP for a reason
    I don't wanna rest in pieces

ReputationRep:
    I'm reluctant to put myself on the register, but if it was opt-out rather than opt-in, I probably wouldn't remove myself from it. That may seem rather illogical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Paranoia isn't logical no but unless you are completely detached from reality you shouldn't be scared of something that is physically impossible. Literally - its not like signing up to the register involves a blood test. Its totally impossible. You are just making an excuse, sorry to break it to you.

Lets hope a relative of yours doesn't die because someone else also couldn't be bothered huh.
    I'm not 'making an excuse'. I don't need to. That's my valid reason. Get over it.
    I don't care about a random person's life. I have no problem admitting that. Nevertheless, if it was 100% safe, I probably wouldn't have opted out. It wouldn't really bother me, I mean, whatever, I won't need them after death. But it's not 100% safe, in my opinion. I opted out my entire family, and my boyfriend, for the very same reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    I'm not 'making an excuse'. I don't need to. That's my valid reason. Get over it.
    I don't care about a random person's life. I have no problem admitting that. Nevertheless, if it was 100% safe, I probably wouldn't have opted out. It wouldn't really bother me, I mean, whatever, I won't need them after death. But it's not 100% safe, in my opinion. I opted out my entire family, and my boyfriend, for the very same reason.
    You haven't given any way in which it isn't safe?

Your reason is not valid. Not in the slightest. There are valid reasons - yours is a fantasy and not one of them.

The amount of potential pain and suffering you have caused based on nothing is pretty distressing ngl.

ReputationRep:
    If they still work sure, not like I can use them if i'm dead.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't given any way in which it isn't safe?

Your reason is not valid. Not in the slightest. There are valid reasons - yours is a fantasy and not one of them.

The amount of potential pain and suffering you have caused based on nothing is pretty distressing ngl.
    Why are you so butthurt over this? My body, my rules. My family/boyfriend's safety - my rules, too. Not going to risk it. *shrugs*
    Do you know what's 'distressing'? How naive and trusting you are. 'Aw nothing bad can happen because the system takes care of us and it's flawless and it's impossible to corrupt it, ever'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Why are you so butthurt over this? My body, my rules. My family/boyfriend's safety - my rules, too. Not going to risk it. *shrugs*
    Do you know what's 'distressing'? How naive and trusting you are. 'Aw nothing bad can happen because the system takes care of us and it's flawless and it's impossible to corrupt it, ever'.
    I've not said that. I've literally just pointed out that the specific thing you are worried about - that someone is going to murder you because your organs are a match - is impossible. Literally impossible.

Your body, your rules. But at the moment you are being stupid and given that its lives on the line - again, not hypothetically, actual lives like the people we love - yes that is frustrating. Sorry for having a conscience - I should be more like you clearly.

ReputationRep:
    I'm signed up, I carry my card around, and my family know not to interfere with my decision. There's not really any good reason not to. Although if they introduce an opt-out system I'll consider opting out in protest.

ReputationRep:
    I've not said that. I've literally just pointed out that the specific thing you are worried about - that someone is going to murder you because your organs are a match - is impossible. Literally impossible.

Your body, your rules. But at the moment you are being stupid and given that its lives on the line - again, not hypothetically, actual lives like the people we love - yes that is frustrating. Sorry for having a conscience - I should be more like you clearly.
    Even if you're right - they could still get access to the rest of my medical records - like my blood type and all that. So in theory, they could kidnap a few people, for example, and then do the necessary tests etc.. So it is still a possible scenario.
    Let's just leave it at that... Don't get me wrong, I can see what your point is. And yes, the chances of the above scenario happening are slim. But it would still bother me a lot. :/

ReputationRep:
    Yes. To be blunt, I'm acutely aware that if I didn't donate my organs (unless I donated my body to science) they would be buried with me and be zero use to anyone, when they could help make an appreciable difference to someone's life, potentially several peoples lives, if I had enough useable organs. It feels selfish to me to think that my organs are better off inside my body to decompose than in someone elses body, continuing to work. Also, since I'm interested in transplant medicine and might end up working in that arena one day if I pick that route, it would feel really wrong for me not to donate my organs. And it's not as though I'll really be able to feel any disgust or discomfort with the idea after I die, I try not to think about the details too much while I'm living. That's a problem for the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Even if you're right - they could still get access to the rest of my medical records - like my blood type and all that.
    Have you actually had your blood type taken? Most people haven't.

So in theory, they could kidnap a few people, for example, and then do the necessary tests etc.. So it is still a possible scenario.
    So let me get this straight. They're going to kidnap multiple people - at least dozens, statistically speaking - force them all to have blood tests, then release them again, then shortly afterwards kill them and hope everyone just believes it is an accident, and then after all that, still successfully bribe everyone at the hospital, and the transplant centre and the police for the organ to go to one specific rich guy without anyone asking any questions? That is your reason for not saving actual, real people's lives?!

Can you perhaps see why I find this so exasperating? I keep trying to stop responding but you are making it so difficult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usfbullz)
    Because some people see that there is no use in delaying the inevitable.
    Potentially adding decades to someones life is a little better than 'delaying the inevitable'

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually had your blood type taken? Most people haven't.

So let me get this straight. They're going to kidnap multiple people - at least dozens, statistically speaking - force them all to have blood tests, then release them again, then shortly afterwards kill them and hope everyone just believes it is an accident, and then after all that, still successfully bribe everyone at the hospital, and the transplant centre and the police for the organ to go to one specific rich guy without anyone asking any questions? That is your reason for not saving actual, real people's lives?!

Can you perhaps see why I find this so exasperating? I keep trying to stop responding but you are making it so difficult!
    Yeah. I had quite a lot of medical tests done in the past few years.
    That was just one example. They could also just kidnap you, kill you and then take the organs. And get rid off the body. Hundreds of thousands of people go missing every year. They must be freaking somewhere, laugh all you want but yep, that is my reason.

ReputationRep:
    He's trolling you. Let it go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Yeah. I had quite a lot of medical tests done in the past few years.
    Including having a blood transfusion? The only reason you'd do someone's blood group? Unlikely.

That was just one example. They could also just kidnap you, kill you and then take the organs. And get rid off the body. Hundreds of thousands of people go missing every year. They must be freaking somewhere, laugh all you want but yep, that is my reason.
    I'm gonna take the above advice and assume you're trolling now. Goodnight.

ReputationRep:
    No. My organs are mine. I hate the idea of my body being taken apart and shared.

ReputationRep:
    Including having a blood transfusion? The only reason you'd do someone's blood group? Unlikely.

I'm gonna take the above advice and assume you're trolling now. Goodnight.
    **** happens but that's none of your business. Why would I even lie about something like that. I wasn't even going to elaborate on my initial post (where i just said no) but the OP wanted me to. People do have illogical, sometimes silly fears, that's life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    I'm reluctant to put myself on the register, but if it was opt-out rather than opt-in, I probably wouldn't remove myself from it. That may seem rather illogical.
    It may become opt-out in England now. I definitely would donate, the idea may not seem appealing at first but your organs can have a much better purpose saving a life rather than disintegrating in your grave.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.