Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwardBarfield9)
    No. My organs are mine. I hate the idea of my body being taken apart and shared.
    Would you like the idea of receiving someone's organ if ever yours no longer worked?
    If so, some people have to donate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I'm signed up, I carry my card around, and my family know not to interfere with my decision. There's not really any good reason not to. Although if they introduce an opt-out system I'll consider opting out in protest.
    I'm very much in favour of the opt out system. There are already posters on here saying they cba to opt in but wouldn't opt out. I think that attitude is probably shared by a few million maybe, greatly alleviating the vast pressures on the transplant system (which is such that people die whilst waiting for an organ all the time, every day. Contrast that to giving blood, where it would be a national scandal if one person died because there wasn't enough blood).

I would actually go one step further and say that if you opt out of donating you also opt out of receiving organs if you need them, but I know many find that a bit harsh.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Sure. I ticked the box when I got my driving license that I'm fine with them taking my organs. It's not like I'd need them. :dontknow:

A close family member of mine died a few years ago and his organs helped 5 other people. I just found that incredible; at least some good came out of such a horrible incident.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    What a morbid thread...Lovely
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonderuss)
    *when you die, obviously lol*

A few years ago I said I would never donate my organs but now I have completely changed my mind - I am definitely going to donate my organs.
    That's the plan. I'm a bone marrow donor but haven't gotten around to sorting out the organ thing.

Edit: I have now registered. It was quite easy. Just a 2 minute form here.
    Presumably there's next steps but at least I'll contribute to society in one way if I die prematurely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatter_2)
    Would you like the idea of receiving someone's organ if ever yours no longer worked?
    If so, some people have to donate.
    No, as I don't want to be a hypocrite. I won't give so I don't want to receive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    Edit: I have now registered. It was quite easy. Just a 2 minute form here.
    Presumably there's next steps...
    No, that's it, you're done. That's how long it takes.

The next step is your family agreeing to it after you are dead - make sure they know that you want to donate so that they don't block it (as happens all too frequently).

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Don't want anyone pulling the plug on me while I'm in hospital so they can harvest my brain lol

ReputationRep:
    I don't care what happens to my body after I die.

ReputationRep:
    Have you guys watched the movie Seven Pounds starring Will Smith? Super relevant to this discussion

ReputationRep:
    It may become opt-out in England now. I definitely would donate, the idea may not seem appealing at first but your organs can have a much better purpose saving a life rather than disintegrating in your grave.
    I think my main issue is that I am still unable to accept the finality of death, and that it does not directly benefit me if I donate my organs. (The issue that others have mentioned regarding doctors becoming potentially less concerned with preserving my life is also a concern).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    The issue that others have mentioned regarding doctors becoming potentially less concerned with preserving my life is also a concern.
    Luckily that's not an issue as the doctors in intensive care would not know if you were on the register or not until after you become clinically dead, then they check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
    i want to be buried in one piece.
    Wouldn’t you rather someone else could continue to live rather than be buried in one piece tho?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Luckily that's not an issue as the doctors in intensive care would not know if you were on the register or not until after you become clinically dead, then they check.
    Oh, I see, I didn't know that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Nope. Don't want anyone pulling the plug on me while I'm in hospital so they can harvest my brain lol
    (Original post by Onde)
    Oh, I see, I didn't know that.
    They don't actually have the ability to check until brain death is confirmed. With hindsight I'm sure you'll agree that's pretty obvious - it'd be pretty crazy if that wasn't the case!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Lel no one wants that from you m8.

Also yes, I'm on the donor list, I don't see any reason not to tbh. Anyone saying they don't want to donate but also won't receive in order to not be a hypocrite is full of ****. As if you would literally die in order to not be a hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Lel no one wants that from you m8.

Also yes, I'm on the donor list, I don't see any reason not to tbh. Anyone saying they don't want to donate but also won't receive in order to not be a hypocrite is full of ****. As if you would literally die in order to not be a hypocrite.
    lmao
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwardBarfield9)
    No. My organs are mine. I hate the idea of my body being taken apart and shared.
    See this in that way too. It is considered egoistic, but it is your decision and this has to be accepted.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Most definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I probably will donate my organs after death. Someone else will need them more than I will

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.