Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

With so many questions telling me to "justify your objectives" & "explain why you chose your research question: leads me to asking, can one write in 1st person?

ie:
    - The reason for choosing to research this topic, is because it is a topic which greatly interests me, being a young female and aspiring entrepreneur.

or should I write:

- The reason for choosing this topic, is because it is one which holds great interest to the researcher.

If there is someone out there who has experience, please shed light!

cheers,

ReputationRep:
    My tutors told me never to write in first person! I'd word it how you did in the second example! The only place you can write in first person is in your acknowledgments section before your dissertation.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelab1994)
    Hi everyone,

With so many questions telling me to "justify your objectives" & "explain why you chose your research question: leads me to asking, can one write in 1st person?

ie:
    - The reason for choosing to research this topic, is because it is a topic which greatly interests me, being a young female and aspiring entrepreneur.

or should I write:

- The reason for choosing this topic, is because it is one which holds great interest to the researcher.

If there is someone out there who has experience, please shed light!

cheers,
    The second one a your dissertation should be entirely 3rd person even to the extent that you will be marked down or even have it referred back if it's done in first person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kawaiitako)
    My tutors told me never to write in first person! I'd word it how you did in the second example! The only place you can write in first person is in your acknowledgments section before your dissertation.
    Ahh ok - I was thinking this was probably the case... Thanks for replying and confirming! :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    It will depend on your field and department so you should consult with someone about it but generally academic writing should be in third person with passive voice. Also most of the time you should avoid mention of the researchers at all or how it relates to them (or you in this case). so for the example you gave above it would be better to say why this topic is of intrinsic worth or interest rather than say that it is interesting to you.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.