Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Recently finished my degree in English Literature with a First, which is pretty amazing considering I've had to put up with a bunch of health issues and mad situations over the past year. I didn't actually officially graduate with the fancy cap, gown and certificate in July, due to only actually finishing things in August, but my final transcript states my qualification anyway. So I'm looking for jobs, even though the actual ceremony is next July.

I've been stuck at home both recovering from health issues, and looking for jobs, and I'm doing a spot of work experience while I look around for a full-time position in some sort of related field that I'm interested in. It's got to the point now though that I don't want to be stuck at home with my parents, and I feel like I'm kind of cornered into a tiny part of the UK with little chance of finding jobs in industries that I'd do well in.

I'm not in too bad a position money-wise, but would love some advice from other graduates who have studied arts and humanities degrees and what you decided to do after university? I'd like to relocate if I can, but don't have a car and think it'd be a bit mad to jump off to a new city without properly scoping out the companies/area.

Any of you go on graduate schemes and the best times of the year to apply to them?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowofadoubt)
    Recently finished my degree in English Literature with a First, which is pretty amazing considering I've had to put up with a bunch of health issues and mad situations over the past year. I didn't actually officially graduate with the fancy cap, gown and certificate in July, due to only actually finishing things in August, but my final transcript states my qualification anyway. So I'm looking for jobs, even though the actual ceremony is next July.

I've been stuck at home both recovering from health issues, and looking for jobs, and I'm doing a spot of work experience while I look around for a full-time position in some sort of related field that I'm interested in. It's got to the point now though that I don't want to be stuck at home with my parents, and I feel like I'm kind of cornered into a tiny part of the UK with little chance of finding jobs in industries that I'd do well in.

I'm not in too bad a position money-wise, but would love some advice from other graduates who have studied arts and humanities degrees and what you decided to do after university? I'd like to relocate if I can, but don't have a car and think it'd be a bit mad to jump off to a new city without properly scoping out the companies/area.

Any of you go on graduate schemes and the best times of the year to apply to them?

Thanks in advance for any answers!
    Do you have any idea what area you want to go into? Typically most graduate schemes open around August-November to start the following August/September time but there are also graduate jobs outside of schemes for which organisations recruit as and when vacancies arise.

In my case I did International Relations at university and I've gone into the policy world. I have been in a fortunate position though as my parents live in London and I was able to just move back in with them. Otherwise it would have been impossible as entry level positions in the sector tend to be temporary low paid internships.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of work experience are you doing at the moment?

After I finished, I moved back home and started some volunteering. The area I live in didn't have a lot of job opportunities, it was only when I moved away I had more luck.

My cousin studied English too. It wasn't long until she found a fixed contract at a publishers, but she knew what kind of career she wanted? Do you? My cousin's friend also did English. At the moment, she is travelling but intends to apply for some kind of graduate scheme.

If you have a bit of money saved up, try to learn how to drive and buy a car. It will really help improve your job prospects (easier to commute, etc.) Work out what areas you are interested. Then look at companies or graduate schemes that interest you and apply.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Has been a hectic week or two and I think my first post was mostly a frazzled HELP at a time of great stress. Luckily things have settled down and I'm in a better headspace.

I'm interested in editing, writing, publishing, support and advice roles, arts and theatre administration and so on.

At the moment my work experience has just finished in admin support for the DWP, which has been great in terms of giving me confidence and getting a better idea of where my strengths lie.

I've gotten in touch with a company looking for recruitment consultants and it actually was a great phone call as I realised just what I DON'T want to do, and that I doubt I'm cut out for any sort of sales/marketing ruthless world.

But I like the idea of becoming a careers or education adviser for schools/universities/jobcentres. I thrive when I'm focusing on helping other people with their potential and it seems way more my street than any kind of dog-eat-dog corporate world.

Thanks for the pointers and feel free to reply if you know any good routes for getting into a careers advice role.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.