Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im applying to physics this year and thinking about UCL, but i've heard (rumours) that their department isnt great and for some reason their student satisfaction seems to be quite low.

Is there any truth to these rumours, and how would UCL compare to a uni with similar offers (AAA), like Southampton i.e. which is better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-10)
    Hi, im applying to physics this year and thinking about UCL, but i've heard (rumours) that their department isnt great and for some reason their student satisfaction seems to be quite low.

Is there any truth to these rumours, and how would UCL compare to a uni with similar offers (AAA), like Southampton i.e. which is better?
    Did you end up applying there?

And have you made your firm/insurance choices yet?

I'm stuck between Manchester and UCL as idk if I should go for overall prestige or department ranking 😓

ReputationRep:
    I did end up applying to UCL, as a backup uni because their offer is AAA. I didnt apply to manchester because it would have meant having too many high offer unis.

For physics IMO manchester has a better course and possibly better facilities (london unis are pretty cramped) . In terms if carrer opportunities UCL has the advantage of being in london and is targeted by banks and the like just because of how much maths you do in a physics degree. However because of their reputation im sure manchester grads are targeted at a similar level (im not a graduate and I also dont want to go into finance so dont trust me on this)

I really need more info to go on to give you any advice. What othrr unis are you applying to and what are their offers??

N.B DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT LOOK AT THE COURSE STRUCTURES AND MODULES AND OPTIONS, THESE ARE ALL VERY IMPORTANT, and thr more variety and choice the better. Its also quite important (but not a priority over the course and teaching quality) to consider where you would be happier as it can affect your performance and you want to do well. Use league tables wisely. Afaik CUG gives you a good indication of prestige, rep and research, to a degree teaching. The guardian tables are looked down upon by many ppl but theyre useful if you know how to use them. Theyre a good indication of teaching quality and student satisfaction. Just look at the criteria and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 410141)
    Did you end up applying there?

And have you made your firm/insurance choices yet?
    No but I have offers from warwick birmingham and ucl proba firm birmingham insure ucl but idk yet for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 410141)

I'm stuck between Manchester and UCL as idk if I should go for overall prestige or department ranking 😓
    There has to be a balance. Reputable uni is important. In general UCL has a betterr rep I think but for physics manchester is by far better. But especially if you want to stay in science a better department takes priority and the better dept will have a better rep among physicists anyway even if the overallranking is lower.
    One thing-make your choice based on your needs etc not whether or not brian cox is there thats a minor factor XD

ReputationRep:
    Looool just realised we're in the same year XD. COME BIRMINGHAM!!!! (Jk take this srsly)

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.