Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a very difficult situation to try to overcome and have come here looking for some advice.

I have suffered with low-level anxiety for a long time without ever really attempting to do anything about it. Following university I did a bit of everything - travel, part-time work, self-employed work, + unemployed at times. Then recently I managed to scrape my way onto a graduate scheme which was starting in September.

So with this in mind I stopped worrying about my CV, I enjoyed the last four months of complete freedom, before beginning my new career the first week of September.

A few days into my two week induction a bit of a disaster struck. In the evening when coming back alone from drinks I was quite viciously mugged and although only receiving minor cuts and scrapes, was severely shaken up. For a few weeks after I said nothing and just pushed through and tried to put it to the back of my mind. However it came to a head and I had a fairly dangerous panic attack (situational) and was given a few days off to recuperate. A week and two panic attacks later and I decided to walk away from the scheme and focus on getting better and dealing with not only the incident but my underlying anxiety too.

Now comes the issue. Alongside therapy I have decided to take some time out for now and refocus on getting back onto a new graduate scheme next year. This whole situation has made my CV even more bitty than before though and i'm not sure what to put in regards to this situation. I do want to include the job because I think getting accepted onto a top graduate scheme is itself noteworthy and in the induction and few weeks of work have at least some (minimal) professional experience to use and talk about.

Would it be best to hide the mental health problems and instead say I walked away due it being a bad fit (I am actually applying for quite different grad schemes now as it happens) or to simply include a line such as *left for mental health reasons/ personal reasons* and openly discuss it at an interview?

I am desperate to overcome this and get on to a new programme and rebuild myself but am scared if that this situation is only going to be a negative influence on future applications
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Jessie9292)
    there is a private CV Help forum where you can get more specific advice on the whole of your CV. You should absolutely not mention any of this in a CV. In the covering letter, you explain your short time at the first graduate role and your absence from employment simply with two sentences such as -

Unfortunately, I was the victim of a violent street crime, and have had to take time out to recovery from my injuries. However, I am now fully fit and ready to return to work.

There is no need to say anything else and you won't be questioned about it at interview - health is not a matter for discussion at interview.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.